Blocking Users

5:12 p.m. on August 6, 2011 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
303 forum posts

Along the lines of more Spam protection and general topic policing, some forums give users the ability to "block" other users.  All this means is that one user can elect not to see another users posts (or receive messages from that individual as well). 

I have seen this used effectively to combat both spam accounts and folks who are just plain trolls. 

And, to be clear, this is one of the cleanest communities online that I have participated in... so I don't anticipate this being a hotly used feature.  Just another suggestion on how to combat some of the quirks of online communication.

6:16 a.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

great point cleric, I like it.

9:37 a.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Yeah ... something like a Kibosh icon.    Sorta Yiddish, but on-the-point. 

A former Jewish girlfriend (in NY) mentioned she wished she had one for me.

~r2~

12:46 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I typically just ignore the person. I have had people really get under my skin at times. When I took a few seconds to think about it I ended up laughing and shaking my head. You know, probably the same response the majority of my posts generate. 

A tab would have its uses. But then again you would probably generate better results by reporting the problem to staff or a moderator. If an individual is an annoyance/harassing to you I would think it would be a safe call that they are doing the same thing to someone else. 

So in a situation that would call for one to be blocked would ya really want to block the person so you don't have to deal with it and pass the buck off to someone else or truly deal with the situation and make the community a better place for all. 

Me personally? I would rather go with the latter of the 2. 

3:26 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

I think about the same as Rick on this one. If someone is creating a large enough disturbance or problem, they should be removed from the membership. If they aren't enough of a problem to be banned, then I need to buck up, be mature, and play nice...even with those who I find annoying.

4:40 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

To some degree cyber bullies require an opposing force to do their thing.  They like the opportunity to lord over others with their cutting wit.  It is hard to one-up someone, however, if their opponent refuses to rise to the occasion.  I find redirecting a hostile exchange back to the topic, accompanied by words to the effect you are not spoiling for a flame war, usually caps the heat.  Should that fail, I inform the flamer everyone on the forum already knows I am an idiot, and engaging me any further with trash talk only risks others placing him in the same category as well. 

Fortunately things rarely ever go so far here, as the moderators and members of this forum are quick jump in and defend the high ground when they smell smoke.

Ed

5:07 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

rick and gonzan, I agree. But there are also situations where negative responses can be geared towards specific people, and it should be their right in that case to choose not to have to see them. There have been and will be users here that don't cause widespread problems in the forums, but harass a few select none the less.

Ed, I also agree with you. The person getting flamed really is in control of the situation, and by not responding to the flamer, simply makes that person look utterly foolish. And I don't think you're an idiot. We've had an occasional debate, but respect and just general manners have kept it from going anywhere but interesting.

So what's odd is this - what is it about the personalities of people who CAN'T use general manners and respect in an online forum? Whatever it is, they deserve to be blocked if they are harassing someone.

5:39 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

iClimb said:

rick and gonzan, I agree. But there are also situations where negative responses can be geared towards specific people, and it should be their right in that case to choose not to have to see them. There have been and will be users here that don't cause widespread problems in the forums, but harass a few select none the less.

Ed, I also agree with you. The person getting flamed really is in control of the situation, and by not responding to the flamer, simply makes that person look utterly foolish. And I don't think you're an idiot. We've had an occasional debate, but respect and just general manners have kept it from going anywhere but interesting.

So what's odd is this - what is it about the personalities of people who CAN'T use general manners and respect in an online forum? Whatever it is, they deserve to be blocked if they are harassing someone.

I agree with you but I also feel that this is a situation that would be best handled by staff etc. at the same time an ignore tab may be a good thing. I have thought long and hard about it in the past and the pros most certainly outweigh the cons. 

Lets face it, if the problem involves me I would much rather have someone on the outside look at it from a neutral position. I may just as well be at fault for the situation as the individual that I have the issue with and not realize it due to the fact that I am pretty irratated. I am nowhere near perfect and at the same time I am noone to judge. 

Many times I have made reference to "acting instead of reacting." Think about a situation and make the best possible choice on how to address it as opposed to reacting solely based on impulse.  

I have stuck my neck out in the middle of debates when they have gotten to a point that they are just simply put...rude. I never single out anyone when addressing the situation publicly on forums and I always post the forum rules that are being violated. Those who violated the forum rules know who they are w/o me telling them who they are. I think alot of times people fail to realize that there are quite a few people that read these threads/posts. Some of which could be children etc.

I have also had individuals on quite a few occasions personally message me and ask me about what happened a little more in depth than what was posted on the board in which case I have no problem taking the time to discuss the matter with them. This is on the personal message board so I can be a bit more specific. 

I like to see everyone happy and getting along. We are all grown-ups(for the most part) here. Its a great site. There is a level of being "family friendly" that should me maintained here on TS. One does not have to be rude, dropping 4 letter words, or belittle someone else in order to get their point across. If ya don't have something nice or constructive to say the best thing to do is not say anything at all.

I have said on many times to the individuals that "cross lines" that what they post has a great deal of bearing on how they are as a person or if nothing else how they are viewed. It seems to defuse situations rather quickly from past experience.

We are all grown ups. I cannot for the life of me understand why some take a simple debate/conversation to a place that crosses lines. 

Seriously, why get irratated about someone who is probably miles away from you and has absolutely no effect on your own day to day life? Seems pretty irrelevant to me. 

I typically just ignore the situation if it is directed towards me.

If a fire doesn't have a fuel source the fire goes out. 

6:42 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

I agree fully Rick.

Many of the folks here are educated, and unfortunately some use that for negative purposes.

You don't have to use a 4 letter word to demean someone and be completely rude. Some people disguise it well, when their intentions are clear from a pattern of responses and posts.

10:16 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
951 forum posts

I think Rick really hits the nail on the head:

I typically just ignore the person. I have had people really get under my skin at times. When I took a few seconds to think about it I ended up laughing and shaking my head. You know, probably the same response the majority of my posts generate. 

A tab would have its uses. But then again you would probably generate better results by reporting the problem to staff or a moderator. If an individual is an annoyance/harassing to you I would think it would be a safe call that they are doing the same thing to someone else. 

So in a situation that would call for one to be blocked would ya really want to block the person so you don't have to deal with it and pass the buck off to someone else or truly deal with the situation and make the community a better place for all. 

Me personally? I would rather go with the latter of the 2. 

At an individual level, blocking or forcibly ignoring certain users is certainly an attractive option. But it doesn't really solve the problem, and indeed lets it fester for others. If all the "power users" on this thread are ignoring the same couple people, are we in effect giving those people a private soapbox in front of newer members? I'm not sure that reflects well on any of us.

As others have pointed out, a polite nudge in the right direction can sometimes be enough to get a conversation back on track. If not, you can always PM me or Alicia or one of the moderators with your concerns. Also, using the "is this helpful? yes/no" buttons can be a good way to register your disapproval (or approval) of a post without getting into a discussion about it.

11:58 p.m. on August 8, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

This is an interesting thread/topic.  I guess this goes in the category of "stating the obvious", but one thing I find  interesting about online forums, is that we end up with an extremely diverse group of people, all chatting/messaging in the same forum, only because of a single shared interest.  The individuals involved might not share any other interests, might have different lifestyles, beliefs, values, etc.  Because of this, some might annoy certain others without even meaning to.  They might not choose to be friends if they met in"real life.   Some we would, but there'd be others with whom we just wouldn't click.  Online life has created some interesting dynamics.

In regards to "ignore" ... I prefer to see what people are saying, rather than to exclude them.  And if I don't like/agree with what they say, I just use "virtual ignore" :).

2:21 a.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

iClimb said:

Ed, ..I don't think you're an idiot...

Little do you realize.  Besides you’re blowing my cover!

bheiser1 said:

..we end up.. ..chatting/messaging in the same forum, only because of a single shared interest...

I beg to differ, Bill.

A single shared interest?  Ah come on! I sure most of us have a fundamental connection in the four most basic of survival necessities: Pizza, camping, fire and whiskey (not necessarily in that order).  So much in common, yet fodder for heated disaggreement: New York crust versus deep dish versus Cali style; ultra light versus ultra heavy; cowboy versus Indian fires; single malt versus blended versus Canadian versus burbon…  Heck this stuff unites us all, regardless it would be the basis of many a debate, likely some flaming, and lead to all manner of forum silliness.

Ed

7:09 a.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Also, if in an active thread the comments of one person are invisible to you, but not to others, I would think that would be very confusing. It seems to me that has the potential to create even more misunderstanding and friction.

8:06 a.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I enjoy the controversy !

Probably goes all the way back to the question Adam had:

Is Eve sleeping with that snake?

~r2~

9:04 a.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

[...]                                                  ~r2~

I think we are all acutely aware of that fact...

9:21 a.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,347 reviewer rep
1,320 forum posts

whomeworry said:

I beg to differ, Bill.

[puts Ed on Ignore]

heh heh :)

11:54 a.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

gonzan said:

Robert Rowe said:

[...]                                                  ~r2~

I think we are all acutely aware of that fact...

Gotta give you credit, Goggans.

You DO (occasionally ) keep me focused, and 'on-point'.

I tend to get off on tangents ... maybe, even "rants".   Never intending to be 'mean-spirited' ... I like to remind someone (self-proclaimed "experts")  when they become too "full of themselves".

I'm with the "average Joe", here.   A 'Week-End Warrior", or occasional week-to-10-day forays.   Probably like the majority of 'Trail Heads'.

I haven't worked 40 years as a Park Service Ranger, or Field Service administrator.   Nor, am I thinking about conquering Everest any time soon.   Or circumnavigating the globe in a 10-ft kayak.   I already know my limitations with my martial-arts skills -- NO hand-to-hand combat with a Grizzly..

~r2~

3:14 p.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

R2,

reminding someone that they are too full of themselves sounds like the pot calling the kettle black. None of us have the credentials to take on such a role.

Part of the forum community is respecting the experiences, knowledge, and opinions of others, and realizing that our own knowledge, experiences, and opinions may be different, and that sometimes there is no "right" for these types of online discussions. They are merely discussions, and if they can be done respectfully and tactfully, lots can be learned.

I'll take on a Grizzly bear any day if it's something that can't be avoided. Cornered men are dangerous men. Besides, it's better than laying down to die.

4:40 p.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

iClimb said:

R2,

reminding someone that they are too full of themselves sounds like the pot calling the kettle black. None of us have the credentials to take on such a role.

Careful, there ....

Unchartered territory.

4:43 p.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

of?

Just taking part in the discussion...after all you said you like the controversy...

:-)

5:40 p.m. on August 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

NOT personalities.

Good Gawd !   Too much material to work with !

Subject matter ... statements ( accuracy / veracity  thereof ) ... attitudes & impressions ( to each his/her own ).

All RELATED  to hiking, backpacking, equipment / gear, venues, locales,  techniques, and-so-forth.

NOT what kind of Scotch you think is best ... or, what underarm deodorant works best for you ... or what political candidate you support  ... or what kind of tires you prefer on your SUV ... or some mutant "athlete" that tests positive and then gets fat following rehab.

I enjoy "war stories" first-hand from those that have had harrowing experiences or close-encounters with dangerous wildlife.   Who's to say whether-or-not they might be embellishing the tales.   They ... and some of us ... are "SURVIVORS".

They / we all contribute to the "lore" of the endeavor, and add a bit of "color".

~r2~

12:46 a.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Robert Rowe said:

..All RELATED  to hiking, backpacking, equipment / gear, venues, locales,  techniques, and-so-forth.

NOT what kind of Scotch you think is best ...                                                    

Boy Robert, for someone who seems to adopt the maverick mantle, you sure have a bunch of rules.

Wha' do ya mean debates on Scotch preferences are inappropriate?  It certainly is central to camping in my world.  Though I would agree it is moot to be critical of any scotch someone else is willing to carry; THAT Scotch is always good enough for me. 

(Just giving a hard time.)

Everyone who has camped with me is a survivor...

Ed

7:58 a.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

whomeworry said:

Robert Rowe said:

..All RELATED  to hiking, backpacking, equipment / gear, venues, locales,  techniques, and-so-forth.

NOT what kind of Scotch you think is best ...                                                    

Boy Robert, for someone who seems to adopt the maverick mantle, you sure have a bunch of rules.

Wha' do ya mean debates on Scotch preferences are inappropriate?  It certainly is central to camping in my world.  Though I would agree it is moot to be critical of any scotch someone else is willing to carry; THAT Scotch is always good enough for me. 

(Just giving a hard time.)

Everyone who has camped with me is a survivor...

Ed

OK, Ed ... I'll bite.

WHAT Scotch do you prefer?

Also, as I suspect it will be a single-malt, please provide your preference for blended Scotch, as well.

I suppose THESE discussions are appropriate for "Off Topic" consideration.

Also, someone recommended a great Irish Whiskey, but I can't find the name.   Do you have a favorite?

~r2~

10:10 a.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
951 forum posts

You know that "polite nudge" I mentioned earlier? Well, here it is:

Please try to keep this thread on-topic. Scotch debate is, of course, welcome in Off-Topic or Camp Kitchen.

And let's keep the chest-pounding to a minimum. (Easier said than done when the Scotch is flowing, I know.)

Thanks!

6:20 p.m. on August 10, 2011 (EDT)
24 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

I'd like to see an ignore button so I can save myself some time. Some users of trailspace see it necessary to make 10 or 20+ posts a day, a majority of those posts uninformative, it seems more for their entertainment than TS benefit. For those if us who only spend an hour or two a week to research new ideas, gear, conditions and so forth, it can get quite frustrating filtering the useless posts in search of relevant ones.

11:00 p.m. on August 11, 2011 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
303 forum posts

The off topic stuff is distracting and would be a large piece for me for deploying such a feature. This thread has illustrated this point again. It is one of the worst traits of this forum... presently.

I stand behind Dave's preferences for moderation and will be using the "helpful/not" function where the off topic distractions get going.

12:12 a.m. on August 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Wow really.  There is a place that each and everyone of use can go to so as not to be annoyed by the rambleing of the ones we don't want to hear from that is called the Gear Reviews section.  There no one will bother you with what you might think distracts from your topic at hand.  Besides that we have this applicaiton called PM'ing which allows anyone to talk to each other without interuption so that we are not disturbed by the words of others.  I also have on my key board as well,  a number of arrows which allows me to scrool past those "words that are so troublesome" for those of  use who deside not to read the posts of those who post more than we suppose to and have too much time on our hands.........(what is the limit of posts?)........ or past something which I might not chose or want to read.  Do we really need another option? A button?

I come to trailspace not only for the technical specs regarding equiptment but also for the personal experiance. This is a site predicated on both people and gear and the outdoors in general.  But that is only part of it.  I come here for the lively debat and thoughts of others, I don't think I've scrolled past a past as single post on ever on this site that I've been interested in (sorry guess I have to much time on my hands).   I try and garner all the wisdom which will enhace my life in the way of the outdoor experaince, but there is much more to the outdoor experiance than the gear, it's the people to.   If you don't want to here from certain people I underdstand, but this is a community of people who have thoughts and belifes.  Not get off topic?...what?....that is part of the human experiance.  Dang.........getting a little uptight aren't we.  We don't always stay on topic and you are more than welcome to bring us back to the point of topic.  All of the info that one want's to be found is all over the net but this site so much more for the community that it serves.  There are many I respect on this site (pretty much every one in difffernt ways and or in one way or another) and I not only respect the fact that they know the equiptment they use and depend their lives upon but also there wisdom that is imparted in any given discusssion.  I'm not trying to be rude here but....... really, when you drive by my house you don't have to look at it.......you choose to.  You don't need a button to turn you head.  Do we really need to build more fences?

12:29 a.m. on August 12, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

apeman said:

Do we really need to build more fences?

Well said.

6:39 a.m. on August 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I recall a very young woman (she was about 18 at the time) giving ME some advice ( and I do listen to advice ).   She was extremely attractive, and was "hit on" a lot.

Her words:

"I can ignore anyone   So can you."

It works.   Not hard, either.   Does not require a tab, nor a 'button'.

~r2~

10:08 a.m. on August 12, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Sirpatrick said:

I'd like to see an ignore button so I can save myself some time....

I am most likely a prime example of Sirpatrick laments, and yet I support his view.  While some of us carry on like this was our local hangout, others prefer just a quick stop, catching up on gear advents over a coffee.  There is nothing wrong with either socializing or preferring to focus on obtaining information with minimal effort, but the two are somewhat in conflict.  We all have various reasons to be here; who am I to judge Sirpatrick’s desires, he means no harm.  Call it building another wall if you want, but good walls often make for better neighbors.  I totally support Sirpatrick’s desire, if filtering out clowns like me enhances his forum experience.

Ed

10:35 a.m. on August 12, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Anyone blocking users like Ed would be robbing themselves of a sizable ammount of valuable knowledge and experience from which to profit. I would have missed out on some truly helpful and inspiring information if I blocked the people who annoyed me when I first joined.

5:48 p.m. on August 12, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

gonzan said:

Also, if in an active thread the comments of one person are invisible to you, but not to others, I would think that would be very confusing. It seems to me that has the potential to create even more misunderstanding and friction.

This is another point that makes a great deal of sense. This may very well cause such a substantial gap in the thread to where one may not be able to fill in the blanks. 

Something I have learned over the years. No matter who you speak to there is always a lesson contained in every conversation. The big question is will your eyes be open to what is be presented you at the time the lesson is being taught..... 

The lesson you learn may not even necessarily be something that pertains to the topic of conversation. It could be ya learn something about people in general, or it could be some little point that you overlooked up until that time and then ya have an ah-hah moment.

Personally I wouldn't block anyone regardless of whether or not they annoy me. It doesn't necessarily mean they do not have something valuable to offer. 

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply