Just a freindly reminder

12:16 a.m. on November 12, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

I was going thru my tent collection tagging them If discovered the dreaded mold monster. Just as we've changed our clocks back, checked the batteries in our fire alarms and such it's always a good idea to check your gear if you haven't done so for as while. Lucky for me I found things before anything got ruined. I had a Bibler Elderado tent and a fly on my only Eureka get mold on them. The Bibler cleaned up with no damage. The Eureka fly now has mildew spots on it. It wont affect it's performance but it ain’t so pretty now. Lucky for me that you can still find just the fly's on EBay once in a while. Any way check your gear. It's more necessary to do if you heat with wood as there are great variations it temperatures within the house at any given time exp during the winter. It's also a good idea to keep all gear away from outside facing walls due to the temp variations in outdoor/indoor temps and the build up off condensation.

Remember that once you find mold you should always go over the affected area's a number of times with what ever your treating it with. I use hot water and white vinegar for tents. Remember that although this works for me I have not tried this on all materials. If I ever had a sleeping bag I would have it cleaned professionally or at least you a product like Nikwax to clean it. Always check your item(s) after it dries out for the spots that you have missed. Always check your item(s) after a couple of weeks to make sure it's not coming back. There is a reason your item got moldy in the first place. If you clean it up and put it back in the same conditions it will get moldy again. Be sure to change the conditions that you store your gear in if you find mold. Just a thought.

10:17 a.m. on November 12, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

A very important reminder Apeman.

You are absolutely right, it is easy to put stuff away and not give it much thought until we yank it out for a trip.

As much as some of this gear cost, regular maintenance is a good investment and time well spent.

3:31 a.m. on November 13, 2011 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Treating with fresh air and lots of sun

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply