gear customizing

5:01 p.m. on November 29, 2011 (EST)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

i seem to remember a thread once upon a time about customizing your gear.  does anyone recommend someone that can do so on a tent?

i'm thinking making external pole sleeves on my tent

5:14 p.m. on November 29, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

What tent?

6:02 p.m. on November 29, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I'm working on a very cheap Texsport tent. Replaced the FG poles with aluminum. and cut out holes to put in vents. Why, Why would I do this? beats the heck out of me. Just trying to make a poorly made tent into something useable. Heck if it works I might just use it on some trails this summer.

9:13 p.m. on November 29, 2011 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Cary, thats a lot of work. Lots of things come to mind. Pole length. stitching, fabric. Basicly you would be building a whole new tent. You would be better off buying a new tent.

9:29 a.m. on November 30, 2011 (EST)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

i realize that mike, (see my thread on perfect tents - lol)

when ya' can't find exactly what you want, ya gotta do something else....

10:53 a.m. on November 30, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey caryernst, I remember discussing this sometime back and for the life of me couldn't remember the company name that came up. 

I did a search and found them:

http://www.rainypass.com/

Shoot them a line. I bet they can probably help ya out. 

2:51 p.m. on November 30, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

hey caryernst:

Is this a Bibler tent?

4:08 p.m. on November 30, 2011 (EST)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

apeman-

yes it is an ahawahnee.

11:19 p.m. on December 1, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

That could be a tough one in regards to where the door/zippers are in relation to where the pole sleeves would have to be. With that beings said I do have some ideas. The poles would either have to be longer(to much cost to replace poles, plus you want to keep them the same size for the option of using them on the inside if you needed) as they are placed on the outside, or the pole pockets would have to be made in a stiff manner to handle a pole(s) that are slightly to short for the outside position that they will be in.

Personally unless you have personal investment in the tent I'd sell it and buy what you want on EBay or Craigslist. If it gets screwed up in the process it will void the warranty and it will cost you more to have this done by a professional unless you can sew this yourself. You(the person who is doing the sewing) will only have once chance to get this right with the material this tent is made of.

I'd say put it up on Trailspace for sale. If you don't get what you want put it up for sale on Ebay and let everyone here know that it's up for sale on Ebay. Remember you will not get what you think it's worth now due to it being the off season and the really bad economy. IMHO

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply