About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Kerlon bacon?

1:21 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Ok, I have a question. Is it normal for the Kerlon 1200 on my Soulo to have ripples in it that look like bacon?

Picture waves all through the material(as seen below) that do not seem to be going away.

Hille-Soulo-1-001.jpg

2:08 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

Here, I'll add my message post to keep this thread alive:

99% of all my Hilleberg usage is of the Kerlon 1800 fabric, and I only notice this if one of my tents has been in storage for a long time.  (Dry of course).  I'd keep your tent up for several days, wet it with a hose and let it dry, adjust the bottom black separator tape and see what happens.  Most of these dome tents like the Staika and the Allak can be guyed out tight around the bottom perimeter and causing the fly to sit like a drum.

Sometimes if the ground level door tape is too tight it will bunch up the door of the fly since the vestibule perimeter can't be pulled out tight.  It's a minor thing, really.  One good week in the thing with a couple good rainstorms and you won't give it a second thought.

2:11 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
690 forum posts

Just to add to what Tipi said - yes.  It will depend a lot on humidity as well and how the tent is packed.  It does go away.

2:12 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Its been like this since the day I actually received it. I just thought it was odd being all of the other Hilles I have seen did not have this characteristic. 

Its the whole tent. I am going to try adjusting the webbing that spans the entry point and go from there. 

2:58 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

MMmmm...Bacon :p

4:43 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

There's a slight chance the factory cut a piece out of pattern and so comes the incorrect fit.  If this is the case it may be difficult to prove although easy to see.  Weird science.  I've seen some tents (North Face for instance) with out of line seams in the inner tent canopy ceiling.  And I've seen slight sewing flaws even on some Hillebergs.  Aghast.

10:45 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

What Tipi said.

Hose it down, let it sit in the sun. The nylon will expand and shrink slightly, depending on conditions.  Nothing to worry about, really.

I presently own the Keron 3GT, Unna and Allak, and they are a little loose first thing in the morning (because of morning dew), then they tighten up like a drum when the sun comes out.

DISCLAIMER - I am an authorized Hilleberg Retailer.

10:56 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Good deal, now I just have to find a day above 32 to soak it lol.

Here is another question, would the webbing than spans the entry point on the Soulo have any effect on the tautness of the inner tent if I were to let a bit of tension off and let the center(spanner)pole out a little more?

I am thinking that if I let off the tension off the webbing that it will cause the spanner pole to kick out a little more which will stretch the inner more.

Am I thinking too much here?

I am going to try the fix that Tipi mentioned in regards to waking with the inner draped over me(double wrap the inner/outter connecting points to compensate for the stretch.)

11:07 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

If I were you I'd leave the webbing lengths as they came from the factory...they set each tent up there and inspect them before they are shipped.

"Am I thinking too much here?"

As I read your posts on this subject...don't be offended...but I am thinking that you might be OCD'ing over this a bit too much.  Just go out and enjoy the tent, get it dirty, and in a few years you won't even care.

11:09 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

No offense taken at all. Hey when it comes to Hilles you guys know alot more and have alot more experience than I do

I appreciate everyone feedback on this.

Its just a hunk of change on a tent. I just want to take care of it the best I can.

11:22 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
RETAILER
8 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

Make sure that when you tighten up the guy lines...just get them "snug"...do NOT overtighten them as to distort the shape of the poles.  Doing this will weaken the snow-load carrying ability of the structure.

You may have already read this somewhere.

Do you have the Hilleberg handbook?

11:26 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,158 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Here is another question, would the webbing than spans the entry point on the Soulo have any effect on the tautness of the inner tent if I were to let a bit of tension off and let the center(spanner)pole out a little more?

I am thinking that if I let off the tension off the webbing that it will cause the spanner pole to kick out a little more which will stretch the inner more.

Am I thinking too much here?

I am going to try the fix that Tipi mentioned in regards to waking with the inner draped over me(double wrap the inner/outter connecting points to compensate for the stretch.)

I believe the whole point of these ground-level vestibule door web tapes is to allow for easier zipper action.  Many tent vestibule zippers are a real pain in the buttocks after a wet tent dries, but Hilleberg uses these webbing strips to keep the zipper tension to a minimum. 

You could try unhooking these two vestibule door straps (with the door zipped) and see if you gain any inner tent volume.  Doubt it.

My pet future project is to get an old Staika and replace all the elastic connectors with non-elastic webbing, like they use on the four corners and at the very top. I would make each one at a minimum length, just enough to connect the yellow inner all around.  What would happen?  Would a tough wind stress out the canopy attachment points w/o the elastic buffer?  They are lightly sewn and are not meant to be non-elastic, probably.  Otherwise old Hilleberg would've done it long ago.

BTW, the Staika has five of these non-elastic connectors.  The Keron tunnel has nine.  The more the merrier.  I like 'em, because they keep the true form of the inner as close to the poles as possible, and will not deform or stretch.

Regular four season tents like the MSR Fury have no elastic holding up the inners, in fact the main poles are dedicated to keeping the inner tent rigid, the opposite of the Hilleberg design.  Hilleberg inner tents are not rigid and this takes some getting used to, especially in big blows where everything is flapping madly.

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply