Mad dog eats drawstring. Pack suffers.

10:35 p.m. on February 4, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,517 forum posts

I went to get my pack out of the gear cabinet in the garage for a hike this AM. I had actually leaned it up against the cabinet the other day. My dogs don't generally have access to that part of the garage but from time to time they do. My dogs are also not chewers. BUT: The draw string that closes the bag was chewed off. So now I cannot cinch it up before putting the lid bag over it. Any suggestions where to get replacement cord set and how to replace it? Do I have to send it back to Deuter? I got it at REI 2 years ago.

11:18 p.m. on February 4, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

I would just use a wire hanger, some heavy duty thread, para cord, and a replacement cord lock.

• First, unfold the hanger, remove any bends or kinks with pliers, and cut off the twisted ends. 
  • Next, gently bend the hanger until it is a circle the same size as the opening of the bag. 
  • Then use some packing tape to attach the heavy thread to the hanger.
  • Run the hanger though the sleeve until the end comes out the other side. 
  • Now tie the Para cord to the thread, which you will use to pull the para cord on though. A one sided double fishermen's knot, cinched down really tightly, should work. 
  • Cut the cord to the desired length, dress the ends with fire, install your cord lock, and tie a stopper knot. 
8:11 a.m. on February 5, 2012 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,200 forum posts

The real question is, should you take the dog and leave him at a dumpster site or not ha ha ha.  Just kidding.  As Gonzan relates, threading cord back into a sleeve is standard practice and we've all done it more than once.  Yes, I use the coat hanger method.  Unfortunately, some drawstrings are in two parts and are sewn in on the opposite side of the opening holes---this would require a different approach---

Like cutting two slits at the back seam and sewing in two cords at the back and running them thru the new cut slits, etc.

I used to have a tunnel snow door on an old North Face tent that was poorly designed with a draw cord rubbing up against tacky urethane, and so I pulled the cord out and cut 10 or 12 holes and made my own drawstring closure in and out of the sleeve.  Any "apron closure" can be done this way:  Just run the cord in and out of the apron.  It won't look good but it will work.

DOGS

My old backpacking dog was a puppy once and he chewed my favorite tent into two pieces.  Another time I was camping in a Chouinard Pyramid tent and packed up and had an excellent loaf of whole grain bread in an unzipped pack pocket and a stray dog came by and pulled out the bread and ate it in one sitting.

8:47 a.m. on February 5, 2012 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

If the pack cloth channel the draw string chases is also chewed up, your local shoe cobbler/luggage repair folks have the materials and equipment to effect this repair for a nominal fee.

Ed

11:39 a.m. on February 5, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,517 forum posts

Thanks guys. I am fortunate he only likes cords....got the zipper pull on my hangfire hoodie that I had lain on the chair while I showered. The sleeve for the cord is not damaged at all. And I just COULDN'T lose This dog:

JackRN.jpg

8:56 p.m. on February 6, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

If ya dont have luck fixin it yourself you could check with REI, I believe they do repairs there. I've never used their service but just seen it at the stores.

10:34 a.m. on February 7, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,517 forum posts

GREAT I will check...I bought the pack there.

2:57 a.m. on February 16, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

How'd it go?

9:28 a.m. on February 16, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,517 forum posts

REI here sends the packs out and I cannot risk it going out and being gone too long. Plus I need it for my training hikes. This weekend I will attempt the method suggested...but could not find the lock piece at REI to complete it. Will look at AMAZON and order it.

12:07 p.m. on February 17, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

If you need a replacement cord lock and a cord installed, I can do that for you. I'm on the other side of the Sierra from you and I have cord and locks around. If we're not out backpacking, I should be able to have it back in the mail the next day.

12:46 p.m. on February 17, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,517 forum posts

OH Thanks so much! I have cord and locks coming from Amazon so should be fine. But thank you so much for the offer.

2:20 p.m. on February 17, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

No worries.

10:32 p.m. on March 4, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,517 forum posts

Got the cord and the locks and then tied the new cord to the end of the old cord. Pulled it about half way through and my knot came out. But then I shimmied the cord through a bit at a time. All in all it took about 10 minutes and repaired!

12:06 p.m. on March 5, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Yay!

November 23, 2014
Quick Reply