Can I use shoe waterproof spray to coat my tent?

9:36 p.m. on February 12, 2012 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
53 forum posts

I have this shoe waterproof and the only ingredient I see is heptane. Wasn't sure if it's acceptable or if I should just go ahead and puchase some seam sealer. 

Any input is appreciated. 

10:09 p.m. on February 12, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I personally wouldn't due to the chemicals/propellants in the spray. Then again this is also dependent upon what you are using.

Do you need to reseal the seams or is the poly coating toast on the inner of the fly? This will have alot to do with what product you should use.

Ya may want to look into a product that is specially formulated for this type of application such as Nikwax Tent & Gear Solarproof:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/nikwax/tent-gear-solarproof/

Gear is expensive. Its just not worth the risk imo.

10:36 p.m. on February 12, 2012 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
53 forum posts

Thanks for the response Rick. I'm just using it on the seams. I have a Eureka and I've been noticing reviews saying the seams are allowing water to pool inside. Just want to be safe just in case I get caught in the rains. 

10:43 p.m. on February 12, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have owned a few Eurekas(Mountain Pass XTEs and other various models) in the past. If you are sealing the seams I personally would go with McNett's Seam Grip:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mcnett/seam-grip/

Its thicker than a spray.

You could spray the stitch holes(seams)in a fly until you are blue in the face and not seal them up due to the fact that the size of the stitch holes are substantially larger than the "pores" in the fly fabric.

McNett's is made for this type of application. 

Another product is Kenyon Seam Sealer 3. I have used this as well. It has an application tip(think bingo blotter.)

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/kenyon/seam-sealer-3/

The product I mentioned above(previous post/Nikwax) is good for coating your whole fly. I personally use it before the start of every season on my tents. This is also dependent upon how much I use each one of my tents.

It waterproofs and also helps cut down on the UV breakdown of the fabric which in the long run saves you money because it extends the lifespan of your tent.

If you are recoating the inner of the fly (which I would think was coated from the factory) then a product such as Kenyon's Recoat 3 is a good option:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/kenyon/recoat-3/

Just a little advice, make sure the seams you are sealing are clean. Just because they do not look dirty to the naked eye doesn't necessarily mean that they are not in fact dirty. 

To be on the safe side if it were me I would clean them regardless. This way you will assure yourself of the best possible result from the application of the seam sealer.

Also if ya want to make the application look "clean/factory" mask the seams off with something such as painters tape(blue) or masking tape prior to the application. Just be sure to remove the tape before the sealer dries. 

6:54 p.m. on February 15, 2012 (EST)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

a what the heck give it a go

1:07 a.m. on February 16, 2012 (EST)
RETAILER
27 reviewer rep
103 forum posts

As I always say: consider the options...

Use what you got... the Spray.

Best case scenario: It works = cheap rain protection

Worst case: It doesnt = you waste time and money making yourself very uncomfortable.

V.S.

Buying something of quality.

Best case: it works great and you use it for years. = value over time with proper care.

Worst case: It doesn't work due to manufacture defect. = you become very uncomfortable for some time but have a warranty.

9:47 p.m. on February 18, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,493 forum posts

tiredofwinter,

Rick has given you good & accurate advise, do your seam sealing and waterproofing the right way and you will be glad you did.

12:37 p.m. on February 19, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Mumblefords said:

As I always say: consider the options...

Use what you got... the Spray.

Best case scenario: It works = cheap rain protection

Or the chemical propellants in the can or chemicals in the spray itself causes irreparable damage to the fly or increase the rate at which the fabrics breakdown when exposed to the elements(sun) because it was intended to be used on footwear(which I personally do not use unless its a product like Nikwax, etc.)

Worst case: It doesnt = you waste time and money making yourself very uncomfortable.

Or you have to purchase a new fly and you are back at step 1 because you used a product that not only is not designed for this type of application but the use of the product negates the lifetime warranty that came with your tent. 

V.S.

Buying something of quality.

Best case: it works great and you use it for years. = value over time with proper care.

Makes sense being what you are using is made for this type of application.

Worst case: It doesn't work due to manufacture defect. = you become very uncomfortable for some time but have a warranty.

At which point you contact Eureka cs at:http://www.johnsonoutdoors.com/corporate/contact/ContactForm.aspx

Like I said above gear is expensive.

The last thing ya want is when Mother Nature decides to show you her ugly side you climb in your tent and find out its really a wading pool. 

Its worth the few extra $$$s to protect your investment the right way. 

7:41 p.m. on February 19, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

No,  you should not use shoe waterproofing on your tent unless you want to get stuck in the rain with everything getting wet and having a misirable trip at some point.  Even if it works for a trip or two the spray will degrade very quickly offering you no protection at all.  There are certain steps that almost all manufactrers have regarding the sealing and waterproofing of their tents.  Follow those directions using the product(s) that they recomend and have been time tested and proven over the years.  Even if your tent has been seam taped I still recommend sealing the seams from the opposite side (it will only take one leak to convince you of this).  The fly material should be water proof without having to treat it.  If it is not it may be time to think about a new tent or ordering a new fly.  The whole idea of a fly is it is suppose to be water tight without treating the fabic itself.  The only thing that should need to be water proofed on a fly are the seams and a spray will not work.  My choice of seam sealer is McNett's Seam Grip.  I have tents that I sealed over 12 years ago and the McNett's Seam Grip is as good as the day it was applied.  Someone above mentioned Kenyon Seam Sealer 3  I have found this product to be wholy unnacceptable.  It wares out fast, it turns a really ugly  white in the rain and must be dried before folding up the tent (even when the tent itself is dry this stuff will stay white for a while and will develope mildue along the seams if not dried out properly),  It quite often starts to peel after just a few years and the applicatior is far to wide there by wasting a great deal of the sealer by spreading it much farther either side of the seam that is in need of sealing.  It makes in my opinion for a relly trashly looking seam sealing job.  IMHO

11:31 p.m. on February 19, 2012 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
53 forum posts

Thanks so much for the replies. Appreciate it!

Looks like I'll be picking up some McNett's. 

Again, thanks for the responses. 

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply