About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

New Hip belt for a External Fram Pack?

4:44 p.m. on February 18, 2012 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Dose anyone know where I can get a new, bigger, better, more padded, etc. Hip belt and possibility shoulder straps for an external frame pack.  I have done some looking but so far they have all been for the newer internal frame packs.  Mine is just old and small (Not very much padding) and it's had to tighten up, it's just a simple snap clasp.

It may be possible to modify one of the regular ones to work, but the kind I have now uses both holes for pins and straps to the frame.  Something that could be tightened around the frame, may work, but so far it's all been Velcro.

Any Suggestions or directions to look?

Wolfman

5:33 p.m. on February 18, 2012 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Wolfman, what kind of pack is it?

2:35 p.m. on February 19, 2012 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

It big Black and red, with a black aluminum frame.  Ha Ha

Actually the brand is Camp Trails, the model, I have no idea.  I got this pack at a Swains back in the late 80's.  The hip belt works it's just not very padded and hard to get tight. I would really like some way to tighten it after it is connected.

Camp Trails is a European company and I can not find anything on their site for parts.  I sure it will have to be a third party belt or one for a different pack that I modify.

I did some searching on the net and have not found much that I think I can make work.  Or is any better then what I have already.  I like the Mars Hip belts from REI and the price is good, but I don't know if I would be able to make them work.  I guess I will have to call around and see if anyone has one in stock. 

Wolfman

I will try to load some pics a little later today.

3:09 p.m. on February 19, 2012 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Maybe give the folks at Rainy Pass a jingle. They handle the repair work(outdoor gear/clothing) for alot of the top manufacturers. 

They also specialize in in gear customization. They can add windows, modify packs, add pockets. Blah blah blah.

If you can think it up they can probably do it. 

Give them a jingle and ask if they can modify the padding in your hipbelt.

Not saying they can or can't hurt to ask right? Here is a link. 

http://www.rainypass.com/index.htm

They also add down to bags, coats. etc. 

Hope this helps. 

1:27 a.m. on February 20, 2012 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Pics as of the packs Hip Belt and Shoulder straps;

First, this is the back and the shoulder straps, the frame is a H style, I think.

They Work but it would be nice to have something a little more padded.  But I think at this point I am going to just stay with them.  Unless I find something that id cheep and will work.
100_1026.jpg

This is the hip belt, again it works, sorta, but padding could be a lot better and it had to get tight. 
100_1027.jpg

Rick, I have talked to Rainy Pass before, I know they do good work and have a good reputation but they are far from inexpensive.  They wanted $70. to replace a zipper on a work bag of mine,  problem was the bag only cost me $40.  :)

I am sure they could do something for me, but I don't think I would want to pay the price.  I think I only paid 30 or 40 bucks for the pack back in the 80's and I would probably buy a new one if it cost over 50 to get a new belt.

ALSO  Dose anyone know of a way to tighten a hip / waist belt other then the clip style?  Like something I could put on and then tighten down?  I can not do that with the clips and they seem to not be very tight after I clip them together.  And yes I tighten them first.  Maybe it's just my gut!  :D

Wolfman

1:38 a.m. on February 20, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
778 reviewer rep
472 forum posts

What Rick said.........Rainy Pass, but, that is a little steep.  Still, once the investment is made, you'll probably not have to worry about it ever again.

8:42 a.m. on February 20, 2012 (EST)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I too love external frame backpacks. But my thought is the shoulder and hip straps might cost you the same as a new pack. Externals are fairly cheap. You could just go to ebay and pick out a new to you one for under $50. I've got a Kelty Treker that I picked up for $15. It was never used.

9:10 a.m. on February 20, 2012 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

That's probably a good idea, I guess I can just watch ebay and craiglist for a pack with a good belt and get it that way. 

Thanks for the help.

Wolfman

11:25 a.m. on February 20, 2012 (EST)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Well, if its not worth it to ya to go to a company like Rainy Pass and have it done professionally, buying another pack may be the next best option. 

You could always try and retro fit another hipbelt to it but another question I have is this.

What if your fix fails?

Then your packload is on your shoulders for however long it takes ya to get back to your vehicle.

Btdt, not fun.

Another pack might just be the best way for you to go. 

12:26 p.m. on February 20, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
367 forum posts

maybe watch for a Gregory Evolution external.  they usually go for cheap, and they have a full harness and belt system like the cushy internals do.

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply