rechaco

2:47 p.m. on April 18, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,439 reviewer rep
1,300 forum posts

i just sent in a pair of Chaco Z-1s to get re-webbed.  this pair has seen a lot of sand and grit, and the webbing was frayed near where it enters the footbed.  that probably has something to do with the sand that inevitably works its way under the footbed.  Chacos adjust by sliding the webbing beneath the midsole, and sand tends to collect in that space.  the webbing has gotten somewhat stiffer and less forgiving from repeated soaking and drying, and the webbing they were using 4 years ago was always somewhat harder than the newer ones. 

i figure that the re-webbing process will require them to remove the sole from the midsole, which will take care of the accumulated sand that i couldn't completely deal with despite cleaning, soaking, and moving the straps around.  it will also be interesting to see whether they make any observations about the sole.  it is in pretty good shape, a "diamond stealth" sticky rubber sole that is great on wet rocks, not so great if you care about leaving black marks on flooring occasionally.  Chaco hasn't offered the 'diamond stealth' sole for a while, and i personally think the rubber is better on wet rocks than the current 'pro' sole.

one reason i chose to repair rather than replace is that apart from the frayed edges on the webbing, the midsole, sole, and hardwear is in pretty good shape.  another is that Chaco no longer sells the Z-1 or Z-2 pro in wide, which I need; to get a wide chaco with a water-friendly sticky sole today, you need to order them as a custom pair ($125 bucks).  a third reason is my bias toward the older sticky sole, rather than the newer 'pro' sole.  finally, the new webbing will definitely be softer than what i'm replacing, which my feet will appreciate.

stay tuned, and i will update on the process. 

5:05 p.m. on April 30, 2012 (EDT)
2,439 reviewer rep
1,300 forum posts

chaco.jpg

my sandals are back.  same soles and midsole, new webbing.  the color is much better than the black webbing i had, in my opinion, and unique in that i have never seen this webbing on any sandal in a store.  it feels much more forgiving than the old webbing.  as i expected, removing and re-cementing the sole means that the webbing now slides easily beneath the midsole to adjust the length (until i gunk them up this summer, i suppose).  they also shortened the buckle straps so they won't keep getting stuck under my feet, as i asked.  the soles appear to be as well-cemented to the midsole as before, and the stitching on the attachment points is heavy and solid - no loose ends, the work is clean and well-done.  all work done in their facility in Michigan, which is where they also do the custom sandals.    

the turnaround time was a little under two weeks.  i had to pay for the outbound shipping; they paid to send them back. 

a big thanks to Chaco for a seamless experience and a great result.  reinforces my affinity for the brand, despite that they have taken the mass manufacturing overseas. 

5:16 p.m. on April 30, 2012 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,069 forum posts

For being 4-5 years old their in really good sole shape. What was your total cost of repair as opposed to haveing cutom sandals made? I looked up the repair prices really reasonable.The turn around you got was good also.I am looking at getting a pair of chaco's in the near future to replace my 18 year old Teva's. Their still in good shape but they are getting older.

10:55 p.m. on April 30, 2012 (EDT)
2,439 reviewer rep
1,300 forum posts

re-webbing a pair costs $36.  the more you fix, though, the more you pay.  a resole costs a fair bit more.

i like canoing and often wear keens for that rather than chacos.  keeps the toes damage-free.  also, i don't spend a whole lot of time w/water shoes on pavement; 5.10 rubber soles get chewed up pretty fast. 

10:10 p.m. on July 26, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I found out the hard way how expensive it is to get my sandals rewebbed and resoled. I was quoted $40 they charged over $80! OK, part of that was shipping but really! By the time it adds up you can get a new pair. I love the idea of recycling but the point is that it should cost less than new, not more! Sorry, just my opinion.

October 30, 2014
Quick Reply