About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Need to seal my rainfly...

12:45 p.m. on November 20, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Steve

Could anyone give me any info on whether I should use Seam Sealer or Seam Grip on my rainfly. Any help would be appreciated.

9:58 p.m. on November 21, 2001 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,249 reviewer rep
5,186 forum posts

Quote:

... whether I should use Seam Sealer or Seam Grip on my rainfly.

Yes.

Ok, enough of the Old GreyBearded One's sarcasm. People swear by each. If you apply either one correctly (clean the fly if it isn't new, according to the directions, then apply multiple thin coats, according to the directions - both inside and outside the fly, on the seams, so the threads are soaked, and let dry the instructed time between coats, reapply as the sealant wears), they both have worked well for me over many many years.

Oh, and be sure to apply in a place with plenty of ventilation (unless you grew up sniffing glue and have already fried your brains - that solvent in each is powerful stuff in close quarters).

6:25 p.m. on November 26, 2001 (EST)
(Guest)

IMHO...

Seam grip is stickier, so it will attract dirt and other stuff. The seam seal penetrates the thread holes better(it is thinner), so possibly it may last longer? I've used both, both work well except for the seam grip stickiness that is kind of aggravating to me.

Hope this helps...

11:46 a.m. on November 28, 2001 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
I seam sealed the instructions so well, didn't have any left for the fly. n/m

n/m

April 19, 2014
Quick Reply