New tent, taped seams - to seal or not to seal?

11:52 a.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

I got a good online deal on a Eureka Spitfire Solo. I knew they were making a new model for 2012, in green. but the website said it was grey so I assumed that the reason for the good deal was that I was getting the old model. But no! it's the new one. Happy me (more vestibule space, improved fly vents, nicer colour). However, the instructions are for the old one, and tell me to seam seal. I set this up in the basement, went over it with a flashlight, and every seam in floor and fly looks to be well taped. Would seam sealing be a waste of time? Should I seam seal the outside, or is that overkill? At this point, I'm inclined to just take it out as is, and pack sealant just in case.

12:47 p.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Many here will say do it. Me, not so much at least for the first two years. I think this will end up being your own choice. If you fear really bad weather it might be wise for your peace of mind.

2:12 p.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

Your last line is my way to go.

2:29 p.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,212 forum posts

Better to seal now and not have to worry about it later. The seam tape is mostly for the stitching(holds up longer, than non-taped).

2:33 p.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey Islandess, welcome to Trailspace. Great to have ya aboard...

I have owned a few Eureka tents in the past and I have to say that their seam sealing is sometimes hit and miss. 

I would suggest that you "err on the side of caution" and go ahead and seal them.

Its better to be safe than sorry. Especially if ya find out the hard way and you end up in a wash-out and it is raining inside your tent. 

This can make for a real miserable trip if you, your sleeping bag, etc gets soaked. 

Ya may as well just do it in the safety/confines of your backyard. It leaves one less thing to worry about on trail. You can also test your tent with a garden hose and a nozzle to give yourself a heads-up in regards to any areas of concern if there are any present. 

I mean, who wants to spend their time on trail sealing up a washed out tent? I know I wouldn't. 

Part of being on the trail is leaving your worries at the trail head and enjoying your trip to its fullest potential. 

Worrying about whether or not your tent is up to snuff when Mother Nature decides to give you a bath is an unnecessary thing.

I do know some who seal their tents on the outer seams. I am not one of those folks. If and when I do seam seal a tent it is on the inner portion of the fly as well as corner seams on the floor, etc. 

Hope this helps. 

Happy hiking-Rick

4:48 p.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,237 forum posts

I would have to agree with Rick, Gary & Callahan.

A tent fly being seam sealed is only as good as how well it was seam sealed. I know that sounds stupid..............until your 20 miles in on a week long trek and get hit buy a raging rain/wind storm. A flashlight will do absolutely no good in telling you how well a fly has been sealed. You may stick your tent under a sprinkler out in your yard but all this also will tell if your tent will stand up to a light lazy rain. The way I test my tents is to leave them outside in driving rain storms for a week or two in the in the heavy weeklong (quite often longer) storms that we get here in the PNW. Since most are unable to do this (esp this time of the year) I would highly recommend seam sealing your tent both for peace of mind and for really staying dry. You won’t be sorry if you do seam seal the fly, you very well may be sorry that you did not.

4:57 p.m. on May 12, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

apeman said:

You may stick your tent under a sprinkler out in your yard but all this also will tell if your tent will stand up to a light lazy rain. 

Depends on the "sprinkler."

October 20, 2014
Quick Reply