North Star Tent Fly

2:58 a.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
79 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Does anyone know where we can get a North Star, North Face tent fly for a tent without a fly?

Ecwt_Dome_17.jpg

4:19 p.m. on May 13, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

Your the second one in a month that has been looking for a fly for the a North Star here at trailspace.  I know you have the TNF ECWT like I do.  I want to set both the North Star and both my Eureka and or TNF ECWT side by side and see if the ECWT's fly(s) can be used on the North Star.  As I was injured a number of months ago I cannot yet set up large dome tents.  Currently I can set up smaller domes, single wall tents and tunnel tents, but I digress.  Have you tried using a ECWT fly on a North Star as the body of The ECWT's were built using the same footprint as the North Star from what I heard?

Regarding that very, very cool tent you posted in the other thread I don't know what it its but it sure is cool.  If anyone here know what it is I would guess that Abeman47 would.  You might want to send him an email or PM and see what he says.  If you do find out anything regarding that tent I would be interested in hearing about it.

Peace out dude. 

Really............109 years old..............really.............;-}>

8:41 a.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
79 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I have never seen a Eureka.  But I was contacted by a guy who needs a fly. I wonder if he has my old Star.  I lost the fly on that one. 

3:34 p.m. on May 14, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

The Eureka looks exactly the same a the TNF as it was built using the exact same specs. with the exception of the TNF being heavier by about 10 lbs. due to the fact that TNF used heavier materials. Same poles, two fly’s just heavier material. The Eureka used a different black-out material on the underside of the fly’s that does not seem to have the problem of becoming sticky if stored improperly. Seems like there are many more North Star body’s out there than fly’s as they seemed to get used to death in the sun with the fly succumbing to UV damage as I'm sure you well know. That’s why I’m wondering if a ECWT fly will work on the North Star body. Not as easy on the eye’s but it would make the tent functional.

5:19 a.m. on May 15, 2012 (EDT)
79 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

The North Star fly was in perfect shape, if we set it up in the sun it would have gotten to hot to sleep late.  Never had a problem with UV or heard about them becoming sticky.  I just lost the fly on my second one, probably at Columbia State Park in California.  How was your trip?

5:04 p.m. on May 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,236 forum posts

The North Star fly was in perfect shape, if we set it up in the sun it would have gotten to hot to sleep late.  Never had a problem with UV or heard about them becoming sticky.  I just lost the fly on my second one, probably at Columbia State Park in California.  How was your trip?

Hey Sumflow,

I was referring to the black backing on the fly's on the original TNF ECWT getting sticky rather than the North Star fly. I have had no problem with my TNF ECWT as of yet. I've never heard of this problem with regards top the Eureka version of the tent.

In regards to the North Star fly's. I have one that is starting to delam and would suspect it’s delaming issues are a cause of UV damage, I could be wrong however as I have no history on the tent. It will be more challenging to treat because of the turret than a normal dome tent fly.

I never made it on my Trip to Thailand. Decided to run into a tree and take trip to the hospital instead. Slowly getting better. I'm now sure that I would have rather gone to Thailand than the hospital but what are you going to Do?.

8:48 a.m. on May 17, 2012 (EDT)
79 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Sorry to hear that.  You missed out on Snake bites and Malaria.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply