Down and coming out

1:22 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I just picked up a new to me bag. 1970's White Stag down bag. It is in really good shape. But some of the down is coming out at the seams. Is there a sealer that might fix this?

3:18 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Hey Mike,

When I have down coming out at a seam it depends where and why it's coming out. If the seam is torn then I usually pinch the seam and then sew it up. If I want it to look good I take it in for a professional job. If it's leaking due to age then I would use a very light bead of sealer such as seam grip and use a small brush to flatten it out. I would guess that any seam sealer will work but I have only used seam grip for the last 20 years so that's what I use it with everything as I always have some laying around. I would guess that GE silicone sealer will work or a small tube of silicone that you can get at a pet store to seal fish tanks would work fine if you don't want to buy a huge amount of silicone. The other advantage to the smaller tube is that it usually comes with a tip that you cut to the size of the bead you want which is much smaller than the tip on the lager tubes and will make the job much less messy and much more accurate.  I would not try and thin the sealer out as you do not want it seaping thru the bag material and clumping up the down.

It's my experience that when I have down coming out that is not on a seam I use a good patching material. Usually a Gore-tex patch seems to hold the best for some reason which I would guess has more to do with the glue backing rather than the Gore-tex.

8:47 p.m. on June 1, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Down wares often leak some feathers.  Usually nothing needs to be done about it.  You need need a tear or other obvious damage to result in enough feather loss to affect the warmth rating.

Ed

2:28 p.m. on June 5, 2012 (EDT)
1,367 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

If you pull it out of your pack and the inside looks like a chicken exploded in there, I'd start to wonder.

Otherwise, you'll have to lose a LOT of feathers to lose much insulating value.

2:18 p.m. on June 7, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

peter1955 said:

... and the inside looks like a chicken exploded in there, I'd start to wonder..

Ok, that mad me laugh :)

8:34 p.m. on June 7, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Ok guys I'm not going to worry about it to much. It looks like a nice bag and has a lot of loft. So if a few bits of down come out from time to time so what. Thanks.

5:07 p.m. on June 15, 2012 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,288 forum posts

My old Featherlight Golite bag was squirting so many feathers last fall that I replaced it with a polarguard bag. I miss the light, compressable down bag but I tossed it out. I used it for 10 years. I would wake to hundreds of feathers all over the tent or on my mattress at home (I sleep in my bags 365 days a year).

9:55 p.m. on June 15, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Strange, I use a sleeping bag in my place too. A real cheapo wenzel. Try to keep the good stuff for the trail. :)

5:09 p.m. on June 22, 2012 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,288 forum posts

I prefer nylon next to my skin rather than cotton sheets. Plus it saves buying even used sheets when I am back working in towns again during the summers.

November 24, 2014
Quick Reply