Tent poles

9:57 a.m. on June 9, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I recently purchased older 90's TNF two man tent, No model name or number at an estate sale. I need poles and specs. Any suggestions, I managed to pitch it using incorrect poles, Yellow w white guy lines and mesh on most of roof.

4:36 p.m. on June 9, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

pics

4:54 p.m. on June 9, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I have a few on my profile page

12:13 p.m. on June 10, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

As you don't know the model or name of the tent you are on your own. This is what I would do. Buy the cheapest fiberglass replacement poles you can find. And try setting up the tent with them. Hopefully they will be to long. Get out a hacksaw and start cutting them down to fit, Making sure that it is a tight fit. Once they fit you have the length, then buy some aluminum poles off ebay, or you can go to a manufacture on line. If you go the ebay rout you will have to cut all the poles so they are the same size. Lay out the FG poles on the floor. Putting the aluminum next to them. Count the sections of the aluminum ones. Lets say there are 7 sections, with 7 inches extra. You will cut one inch off each aluminum section. Without inserting the shock cord set up you tent. If it sets up tight you have it. Then you will have to put in the shock cord. I have done this many times. It isn't hard but it is time consuming. 

3:06 p.m. on June 11, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I will give it a go, thank you for the info, I'm also letting it air out I read the dozens of valuable post and they are much help as well.

4:25 p.m. on June 11, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey wuf, welcome to the wonderful world of Trailspace. I wanted to see some of the suggestions here before I chimed in. 

Some pretty solid advice above. If I may I have another to add...

My suggestion to you is contact TNF. Here is the link:

http://www.thenorthface.com/en_US/contact-us/

If anyone can accurately identify the model of tent that you possess it will be the manufacturer. 

I would also suggest taking a few pics of your tent and attaching them with your initial correspondence(for id purposes.)

I have no doubt that TNF will be able to tell you what you have and any other info including what poles were part of the initial package. 

If said poles are no longer being produced and you want to get a new set I would recommend contacting TentPole Technologies LLC(polesforyou.com) and inquiring with them on what would suit your specific needs in regards to a replacement set. 

Here is another link:

http://www.polesforyou.com/index.htm

They should be able to get ya hooked up.

I hope this helps ya out a bit.

Happy hiking-Rick

6:36 p.m. on June 11, 2012 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Rick has a very good ideal on talking to TNF first, with pics. They still have fine costumer service. If they identify the tent they can give you the specs and polesforyou can make the poles for you.

I just like doing it myself. :D 

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply