About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Waders - seal seem?

10:38 a.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

So i got a pair of White River Fly Shop (bass pro) Osprey waders yesterday, and I was curious if it was necessary to seal the seams?

Goin to the San Juan River in a few weeks and would like to save my money for as much gas and Flies as possible!

11:24 a.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
1,633 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

From all the years that I have used waders(Red Balls & up) I have never needed to seam seal them. 

Best bet is to head to a local river or body of water and see what happens.

If they leak anywhere you will find out and can seal them up, and if they don't... Well then you are not wasting your time doing something that is unnecessary.  

1:08 p.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
245 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts

jump in the neighbors pool/pond before you even drive anywhere.

3:18 p.m. on July 11, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

sounds good guys!
Thank ya!

8:11 a.m. on July 12, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
778 reviewer rep
472 forum posts

I would guess you have what the industry calls breathable waders. I have Lacrosse breathable waders I use during duck season and trout fishing and have never had to seam seal them. The seams are taped from the factory and therefore should not leak. Bass pro waders have a good warranty and if you find them leaking they need to be exchanged. I have been in all sorts of snags and branches with my breathable waders and fortunately, no leaks developed. They are tougher than they look.

2:02 p.m. on July 12, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

ya, i went for bass pro over simms cause i know simms has a great warranty, nut i know basspro has a much bigger name to watch over!

thanks again!

April 17, 2014
Quick Reply