TNF Boulder 33

12:42 a.m. on August 5, 2012 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

I got what I though to be a steal on eBay...but, as should have been expected, it seems that it was "too good to be true".  It is a TNF Boulder 33.  Unfortunate b/c I really like the features of the tent.

I got this tent and the coating on the fly is a little sticky.  Not so much that it actually sticks to anything, but that it 'grips' to other surfaces like the pole much more than it should.

I set it up to air out yesterday and a pretty big storm came through and the tent filled with water.  I didn't expect it so I didn't do the best job of setting it up for a "leak test"...no ground cloth, etc.  So, I'm not sure if the water came from underneath or above.  In any case, the tent leaked...bad.   Guess I'll have to conduct some kind of testing to sort out where the water came from.

With that said, I know that this topic has been beaten to pieces, but should I...

1.  try to seal as best possible and use as long as i can

2.  try to seal and unload while it is in decent condition

3.  count it a loss all together and look for something else

6:22 p.m. on August 5, 2012 (EDT)
43 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Yes... In that order.

8:51 a.m. on August 6, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts
  1. Trying to seal a fly that already has a membrane is a hassle, making the fly heavier, and still prone to stickiness, since you are not removing the existing film.
  2. Since reselling is a big hassle, and prone to resulting in marginal out come, don't pawn this tent off on the next unsuspecting smo.  Uncool.
  3. Probably the smartest thing to do is take the loss, but you have one more option:
  4. TNF may replace it for free, or you might be able to purchase a replacement.  Or take the fly to an equipment seamstress or sail maker.  They can make a replacement.  Get a quote to see if the price justifies the effort.

Ed

9:42 a.m. on August 6, 2012 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

Wouldn't sell it without disclosing the the info.

There is a fly/body only for sale on ebay.  I just hate to get it and it be in the same condition and then have lost out 2x.

I have contacted TNF.  Waiting to hear back.

8:04 p.m. on August 7, 2012 (EDT)
43 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

There are 2 listed now on Ebay.

10:47 p.m. on August 7, 2012 (EDT)
13 reviewer rep
113 forum posts

I'm following one.  It just posted today.  The other has no poles and looks in rough condition.

I think the seller is going to accept a return on mine.  He advertised as "extremely waterproof"...however, that is not the case.

October 31, 2014
Quick Reply