Tent Rain Fly Smells

11:45 a.m. on July 13, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Help. My rain fly smells like campfire smoke really bad. I aired it out for three days, it rained on it but it still smells terrible.

I guess this means I will need to wash it, but with what so I won't ruin it.

Hikergirl

11:59 a.m. on July 13, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Rick, Rick Story

No, you don't need to wash it, just let it air out (hang it open) in a garage or basement (dry) where it is dark, but there is some airflow, for a week or two and it should be fine. Smoke odors will disspate over time.
Rick

Quote:

Help. My rain fly smells like campfire smoke really bad. I aired it out for three days, it rained on it but it still smells terrible.

Hikergirl

1:24 p.m. on July 13, 2001 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Hikergirl, where you been?..........

Rick is right on with his suggestions.

Occasionally I will use a Sierra Zip wood burning stove on a backpacking trip. My favorite fuel to burn is squirrel - chewed pine cone cores. You should see the amount of smoke that blows on the tents, you would think that there was a brush fire in the area (which is why I only use it on occasion).

Anyway, I hang mine up like Rick suggests and the smell is usually gone in a week. No need to wash it if there is nothing on it that would harm the material.

4:51 p.m. on July 13, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Ellicott Rock Wilderness on the Chattooga River/nm

7:16 a.m. on July 14, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

try this:: put some baking soda in the stuff sack and then as you are putting the rain fly in it sprinkle a little on it as you are stuffing it in . when it is all in shake, rattle and roll it around and let it sit for a day or two. when you take it out shake the shit out of it and then hang it outside in the wind. that has worked miracles for me. i bought a tent at a yard sale for cheap money and it smelled like mildew and this really lightened up the smell.
let me know how it worked for you.
p.s. baking soda will not harm the intregity of the tent.

3:02 p.m. on July 14, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Jim Beebe
Re: Ellicott Rock: where is that thing, exactly?

I've hiked by it on the trail there, but couldn't tell which "rock" it was. Is it one of those pile of rock islands?

3:44 p.m. on July 14, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Help. My rain fly smells like campfire

try washing it off with some white vinegar and water worked real well for me give it a try.

6:09 a.m. on July 15, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I've hiked by it on the trail there, but couldn't tell which "rock" it was.

Jim, Ellicott Rock is supposed to be 4.4 miles north of the Burrells Ford road parking area on the Chattooga River Trail (Oconee County, SC - off Hwy. 107) according to the book "Hiking South Carolina Trails" by Allen de Hart. Andrew Ellicott surveyed and chisled a marker "NC" to designate the tristate corner of NC, SC (my home state), and GA. A few feet before this rock is the true tristate intersection called Commissioners Rock. It extends into the river and is marked LAT 35 AD 1813 NC-SC (1813 is the year it was surveyed). I have never seen it, but plan to hike there on one of my treks.

The wilderness covers 9,012 acres and straddles the 15,432 acre Chattooga River Wild and Scenic Corridor.

Thanks all for your tips on the rain fly. It is still airing out and the odor seems to be a lot better.

Hikergirl

6:57 p.m. on July 15, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

I walked out there today (I live in Seneca) but I didn't go nearly 4 miles upstream from Burrells Ford. I went just a little way past the big bend in the river where the sandy beach is. How far above the junction with the fish hatchery trail is it (the rock)? The one time I've been on that part of the Chatooga trail I thought there would be a sign or something -- maybe I just missed it.
Pretty day, and not so hot, hope you got out in it somewhere.

5:52 a.m. on July 16, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

How far above the junction with the fish hatchery trail is it (the rock)?

Jim, According to Allen de Hart's book the rock is 1.7 miles past the junction of East Fork Trail (East Fork leads to the fish hatchery). At .5 mi. past the junction is the state's largest white mountain camellia and at .9 mi. past the junction is the state's largest rosebay rhododendron, more than 2 feet in circumference and 40 feet tall.

Evidently there is no sign for Ellicott rock, as I have heard some say they have never found it. Commissioners Rock is marked Latitude 35. Is that enough bearing to locate that one? Maybe those with a GPS can locate it (interesting little gizmo). I should consider getting one - the guys at work could help me figure it out.

No I didn't hike Sunday; I was freezing veggies from the garden, but did hike 5.2 miles Saturday morning on Turkey Creek, McCormick County, SC - one of my favorite stomping grounds and only 40 minutes from home. I want to backpack there, but my hiking buddy won't. There's lot of solitude to be had. Bobcats and an occasional mountain lion are the only threats.

Jim, your county (Oconee) is the prettiest one in our fair state! Have seen many waterfalls and plan to see the rest, especially Big Bend. Have you seen it? I have read that the road to it is rough and we will have to drive the jeep to get to that one.

Hikergirl

3:36 p.m. on July 16, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M
I've never found it either...

I've hike down to where that rock is supposed to be and I've never found it. On a side note...I day hiked from Burrels ford downstream to (dang...can't remember the falls name) about 3 miles. What a gorgeous stretch of the Chatooga.

Quote:

Quote:

I've hiked by it on the trail there, but couldn't tell which "rock" it was.

Jim, Ellicott Rock is supposed to be 4.4 miles north of the Burrells Ford road parking area on the Chattooga River Trail (Oconee County, SC - off Hwy. 107) according to the book "Hiking South Carolina Trails" by Allen de Hart. Andrew Ellicott surveyed and chisled a marker "NC" to designate the tristate corner of NC, SC (my home state), and GA. A few feet before this rock is the true tristate intersection called Commissioners Rock. It extends into the river and is marked LAT 35 AD 1813 NC-SC (1813 is the year it was surveyed). I have never seen it, but plan to hike there on one of my treks.

The wilderness covers 9,012 acres and straddles the 15,432 acre Chattooga River Wild and Scenic Corridor.

Thanks all for your tips on the rain fly. It is still airing out and the odor seems to be a lot better.

Hikergirl

4:18 p.m. on July 16, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: I've never found it either...

Burrels ford downstream to (dang...can't remember the falls name) about 3 miles. What a gorgeous stretch of the Chatooga.

Scott, That was most likely Big Bend Falls, as it is downstream from Burrells Ford. King Creek Falls is in the area, but I believe it is upstream.

Ellicott Rock could be covered up under thick growth and not visible. I would love to try to find it too.

Good hiking to ya!.

Hikergirl

11:56 a.m. on July 18, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Ellicott rock

Hey Hikergirl,according to the GA Conservancy Guide to the north Ga. mtns., Ellicott Rock is about 10 feet upstream of Comissioner's rock. It is inscribed with 'NC'.But what do I know, I couldn't find either of them.

5:30 a.m. on July 19, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Ellicott rock

O.K., That does it! I am determined to find it the next trip up there.

In Allen de Hart's book - Hiking South Carolina Trails he said that they found both rocks, so it must not be off the trail. He does not mention having to get off trail to see it.

Gotta go finish packing "that old truck" for a regular camping trip to McCormick County - lots of hiking there.

Later,
Hikergirl

10:35 a.m. on July 31, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. marcusl

Quote:

I had the same problem after a scout trip last April when the scouts were throwing all kinds of #%#! in the fire. Two weeks of airing didn't take the nose-wrinkling stench out. I finally sponged the fly off with Down Wash as per Sierra Design's instructions and that helped some. (BTW, they say *never* put a tent in a washer.)

Baking soda sounds like a good suggestion. Don't know about vinegar--could the acid harm the materials? (How vinegar *then* baking soda? It would be some fizzy fun!)

Good luck

Marcus

12:39 p.m. on July 31, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Hikergirl

So what. Smoke smell good, um.

11:40 a.m. on August 8, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: McCormick County?

Hey Hikergirl, I live right down the road from McCormick county. Where are the good places to hike there? I know Sumtner Ntn. forest is there. I just can't imagine any good
hiking that close to Augusta.

4:44 a.m. on August 13, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

Maybe those with a GPS can locate it.

Ellicott Rock (N35

August 31, 2014
Quick Reply