MSR Stands behind their brand

3:46 a.m. on August 21, 2012 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

A few years back I purchased an MSR Hubba tent.  Normally I sleep under the stars, and bring along a 3-season shelter only to escape rain.  I didn’t need to deploy this tent for several seasons, however; thus was dismayed when I finally had to resort to my shelter last fall, only to find the membrane on the rain fly to be sticky, delaminating, and rank with “funky membrane stink.”  A call to MSR warranty and repairs resulted in nothing but polite cooperation and a return authorization.  They were aware of this issue, and have since resolved it on more recent products shipped.  They remedied my problem with a factory new fly. They said it would take about six weeks to get it to me – bummer as I intended on departing on a trip in about three – but to my delight the replacement rain fly arrived in less than two weeks.  Very happy with MSR (Cascade Design) customer service.

Ed

9:48 a.m. on August 21, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,285 forum posts

Ed,

I agree: Cascade Designs is well thought of by me. My first NeoAir pad (original model) became “pregnant” so I e-mailed a picture to them and they replaced it on the spot.

Subsequently my second Neo-Air has developed a slow leak; I’ll send it to them and if it’s a problem with a seam or such they’ll repair at no cost to me. If it’s leaking from a hole that put I in it they’ll charge $20 for the repair (including shipping).

I would not recommend buying a Neo-Air to anyone because they are rather flimsy but Cascade Designs is absolutely standing behind the product.

6:02 p.m. on August 21, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,497 forum posts

This is good to hear!

I have had good experiences with MSR as well.

Mike G.

6:05 p.m. on August 21, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

When I ordered my Miniworks way back when the mesh sack it all goes in had a blowout. 

Well I contacted MSR(Cascade Designs) via email and they sent me out a new one no questions asked. 

They are alright by me as far as I am concerned. 

7:48 p.m. on August 21, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

MSR has good customer service.  I have had no issues with my replacement short NeoAir that replaced my original a few months after I got it and returned after one bp trip to the coast.  Free parts for my old Int'l stove.

Duane

12:23 a.m. on August 22, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
372 forum posts

I had a similar response from Marmot when the window in the fly of my EOS 1P fell out.  They acknowledged an issue with the sticky flies and had me send in my fly.  They couldn't repair it, and due to a redesign that put the door on the opposite side of the tent they couldn't send me a replacement fly.  So they sent me a whole new tent.

They probably build that into their business model.  The profit margin is high enough on the new items that it makes more sense economically for them to just replace items than to pay the labor to repair them.

3:52 a.m. on August 28, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Marmot has great customer service. I bought a used bag and couldn't find a thing about it on the net, which is pretty unusual. I called Marmot and the woman who helped me tracked down the model, found the old price and even emailed me scans of the catalog from about 6-8 years ago. Very friendly and helpful.

MSR is also great. Quite a few years ago, I needed a couple of parts for my old XGK and when I called, they tossed them in a little package and sent them to me, no charge.

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply