Repair of Mountain Hardwear Tent Zippers, redux

1:41 p.m. on October 5, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,314 forum posts

Last summer I started a thread regarding failed zippers on my Mountain Hardwear Skyview 1.5 tent.  At the time, I got an RMA# to return it, but was told it may cost me for the repair.  I got busy with other things, didn't really need the tent since I used my Big Agnes tent for backpacking thru the summer, and as a result didn't get around to sending in the Skyview.

I finally cleaned it up (washed it with a sponge, in the bath tub, with Nikwax Tech Wash (and found out later Mtn Hardwear doesn't recommend that particular cleaner)) and took it over to the Mountain Hardwear facility in Richmond, CA.  They have an "employee store" there where one can drop off RMA/Warranty-Repair items.

I dropped it off on Saturday and got a call on Monday from the Warranty Dept.  They just asked a couple questions about the zipper issues.  The guy I talked with was quite impressed with the condition of the tent considering its age (it's a 1998 model which I purchased in 2000).  He indicated the zippers themselves were in good shape, and that they would just replace the zipper pulls on each of the two screen doors and on each of the two door panels.

They ended up doing the repairs under warranty, and I received the tent via UPS yesterday!  Now that's great service!

6:00 p.m. on October 5, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

That is good to hear bheiser 1,

I have always thought the Skyview series was one of their better tent designs.

I have the Skyview 2, purchased in '98 or '99. I am getting ready to seam seal the floor & fly for the upcoming camping season.

Mike G.

1:13 a.m. on October 7, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,314 forum posts

@Trouthunter, yep, I agree, it's a good tent.  It's too heavy (IMO) for backpacking by today's standards, but I'm still glad I have it.  I like how all the doors & windows have fabric panels I can close during cold/windy/snowy/whatever weather.

Having washed it, had the zippers repaired, and then also washed the fly yesterday, and finally giving the fly a Nikwax waterproofing treatment, it's like having a new tent again!  Time to plan a car-camping trip...

I'm very pleased with the rapid turnaround (drop-off on Saturday, received back on Thursday) repair service.

9:27 p.m. on October 10, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,506 forum posts

Haha, yes they are heavy by today's standards, it would be nice if all the panels could be left at home in milder weather. I can only remove the roof panel in mine

My tent is a touch over 8lbs but it will sleep 3 in a pinch and has a 17 sq ft vestibule, enough room for two dogs or an unruly child (just joking - mostly).

I understand that at some point MH started making the Skyview 2 a bit smaller, I'm glad I got the larger one because two people can really stretch out in it.

I'm glad you have a "like new" tent again. Mine has held up very well over the years.

Mike G.

10:11 p.m. on October 10, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,314 forum posts

Yah ... when I set up the Skyview (mine is a 1.5) for the cleaning prior to the zipper repair, it seemed positively HUGE!  And I had trouble working with it in the back yard due to the lack of open non-garden space.   I've gotten used to the much smaller Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1.  When I sleep in the Skyview again, it'll seem palatial! :)

I agree about the panels.  The same is true of mine, just the top panel will come out.  But that's a good point, maybe even removing that one would cut out a few ounces...

1:40 p.m. on November 16, 2012 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,303 forum posts

My Mtn Hardwear's zipper is separated by a animal, possibly the Porcupine that kept returning to my tent in the Tetons last summer all night. It will only zipp in one direction but only to close not open. Luckily I have the other side entrance. I contacted Mtn Hardwear and they said the repair would cost about $70, but being I only spent $100 on the tent second hand from a old roommate I have chose not to get it fixed. I just set up the tent facing the direction I want the door to be and have tied the other doors zippers together so it can't be accidently opened.

November 29, 2014
Quick Reply