Need bike rim replaced

5:45 p.m. on November 24, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

I am in the middle of my bicycle tour around the USA. I got to 29 Palms almost two weeks ago (Weds). I hope to get a new rear rim this next week and continue my bike tour. The rear rim started cracking along the outer rim about a week ago after getting here to southern california. I am going to try and use a product called J.B. Weld which is a two tube mix. You mix the two epoxys together and in minutes apply it to the fixed area. It set up in about 6 minutes and hardens in 15 hours. I plan to put it on this afternoon in camp so it will be ready to go by morning.

I have used it before on my seat post when it broke a while back. I also need to replace that as soon as I get somewhere I can do it.

9:51 a.m. on November 25, 2012 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,024 forum posts

Hi Gary -

JB weld might hold in a "pinch," but both of these critical failures need to be fixed ASAP. If your seatpost or rim fails on a steep downhill, you're going to be badly hurt.  Both need to be replaced ASAP. JB weld is NOT an adequate fix.

If you're looking for inexpensive replacements, you can try craigslist in whatever town you're in, or try to find a community bike shop. Practically speaking, if the rim is gone, the whole wheel is gone.  It's much cheaper to buy a used wheel (saving your existing cassette, if possible) than to try to buy a new rim and rebuild the wheel.

Travel safe!

-Seth

2:00 p.m. on November 25, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

A friend in Florida is going to send me a used rim. I met him in September between Dutch John and Vernal Utah near Flaming Gorge. We have kept in touch since. I texted him this morning asking if he had a extra rear wheel. He has and as soon as I figure out where to have him send it UPS to me here in 29 Palms, he will.

And the seat I will replace ASAP too.

4:34 p.m. on December 1, 2012 (EST)
43 reviewer rep
108 forum posts

Gary.. Bad Luck..Broken rim and low on fuel and funds..

Hang in there...better LUCK is ahead...

1:14 p.m. on December 2, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

I replaced the fuel with my last $10.00 a week ago. Hopefully the wheel will be here this next week!

1:22 p.m. on December 8, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

The wheel from my Florida friend came last Tuesday, I just repaced it this morning as well as a new tire. I am heading to Arizona tomorrow.

7:14 a.m. on March 8, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I know it's a bit late but a lower tyre pressure will prolong the life if a rim. Be careful with how much air you put in the tyres as the max tyre pressure can be different to max rim pressure. Good luck on the rest of your ride

1:14 p.m. on March 8, 2013 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,077 forum posts

I left 29 Palms two and a half months ago. I got a new rim(whole rear wheel) from a friend in Florida in the mail, fixed the problem and spent  2 weeks riding on to where I have been in Tucson for the winter since Dec 26th. I am leaving here in mid-late April to go up to Utah on my bike for my 61st bike tour. I average 2 a year spring and fall.

Where are you from bridgo73, I have not seen Tire spelled Tyre much before?

July 29, 2014
Quick Reply