About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Modifying a rucksack

12:51 a.m. on May 19, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have an 3 or 4 year old REI Halfdome rucksack that tends to buckle right at the small of my back. I'm thinking about putting a Delrin, PU, ABS, etc sheet or rod in it to give it some structure rather than fork out $$$ for a new pack. Anybody tried this, or have info? Thanks.

7:49 a.m. on May 19, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Quote:

I have an 3 or 4 year old REI Halfdome rucksack that tends to buckle right at the small of my back. I'm thinking about putting a Delrin, PU, ABS, etc sheet or rod in it to give it some structure rather than fork out $$$ for a new pack. Anybody tried this, or have info? Thanks.

Hey

I've had similar problems in the past. As long as the pack has compression straps and a hip belt, you should be able to compress the load with the side straps so that it is reasonably rigid, and then just cinch up the hip belt. The solid pack becomes it's own frame.

OR.........

In a pinch, you could just insert something down into the pack, against your back, like any sheet of thin plastic or a Z-rest pad opened up like a book. That, in conjunction with the side straps and hip belt should do it.

N'E

2:57 p.m. on May 21, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Rich

Quote:

Nor easter, I modified a few packs to solve this problem and it works. On a 1987 Mt. Smith Frostfire pack I slipped a piece of vinyl siding cut to size over the foam inside the hipbelt and then sewed the whole thing to the sleeves of the internal frame. The pack doesn't buckle anymore and carries great. You can also buy a good plastic backed hipbelt and sew it to the frame also. On one pack I used a plastic book binder for a frame sheet and bolted a Gregory hipbelt to the sheet. Another great pack I fixed myself. It is a 1983 Wilderness Experience Alpinist II. I even made my own lumbar pad and used a rubber bottle cap gripper to prevent slippage.

3:19 p.m. on May 21, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Alright! My kind of guy!!

Quote:

Quote:

Nor easter, I modified a few packs to solve this problem and it works. On a 1987 Mt. Smith Frostfire pack I slipped a piece of vinyl siding cut to size over the foam inside the hipbelt and then sewed the whole thing to the sleeves of the internal frame. The pack doesn't buckle anymore and carries great. You can also buy a good plastic backed hipbelt and sew it to the frame also. On one pack I used a plastic book binder for a frame sheet and bolted a Gregory hipbelt to the sheet. Another great pack I fixed myself. It is a 1983 Wilderness Experience Alpinist II. I even made my own lumbar pad and used a rubber bottle cap gripper to prevent slippage.

2:17 p.m. on May 28, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Try a Kydex sheet..

Kydex is a thermoplastic that comes in various thicknesses. The great benefit is that you can heat the stuff in your oven, then mold to shape. It will retain it's new shape indefinately....

...lots of it is used to make sheaths for fixed blade knives....

4:01 p.m. on May 29, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Try a Kydex sheet..

Definite possibilities there. I've been playing with the idea of using acetal (delrin), but if this can be conformed. .. Any idea how well it takes glue?

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply