Boot Waterproofing

6:52 p.m. on May 16, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Mike Davis

I've been using Nikwax Paste Wax on my Asolo 520s. This is supposed to be Nikwax's most durable treatment but it seems to wear off about 3 miles into most of my hikes. Of couse I'm usually grinding through some pretty nasty terrain in the ADK, but it seems to me that boot waterproofing should last longer. Can anyone suggest a product thats more durable.

Thanks

6:30 a.m. on May 17, 2001 (EDT)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts
Kiwi Camp dry. Recommended by Vasque for use on GoreTex....

lined boots (will not affect breathability). It has surpassed test standards for remaining waterproof after thousands of flexes.

Backpacker Magazine ran tests years ago on waterproofing products. The best performers were the sprays and liquid products. The bottom line on boots treated with Kiwi camp dry was "consider them waterproof".

I treat my boots every six months whether they need it or not.

7:22 a.m. on May 17, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. SherpKroto

I've used NikWax products and SnoSeal, both with success. I find myself leaning toward SnoSeal lately, but this may be due to winter just getting over. I just applied SnoSeal to my Asolo Cerro Torre (non Gore-Tex model, fabric/leather upper) and had no problems on my last hike, which was very wet. - SherpaKroto

2:08 p.m. on May 17, 2001 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Steve

I always go with the SnoSeal. I apply it to my boots twice a year and my feet stay nice and dry. Just make sure to wipe off any excess wax otherwise your feet will drownd in a puddle of sweat. This I learned after my first time using the stuff. It made of a bee's wax that is absorbed right into the leather using a little bit of heat from a blow dryer. I've never tried the Kiwi Camp Dry, but I've heard some good things about it...I must try some when I'm all out of Sno Seal.

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply