Tip on Silnylon Treatment

11:32 p.m. on January 8, 2013 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

Today I seam sealed my new TT Scarp 2 with a 3:1 mix of odorless mineral spirits to GE silicone caulk.

After that I brushed on a much thinner 5:1 mix on the top of the fly to prevent any mist-through. After brushing on the first half I saw all the unsightly brush strokes and decided to wipe it down with a blue paper shop towel. That did the trick!

RESULTS:

1. Wiping down evened out the coating

2. Wiping down also took off any excess coating thus losing a few ounces over the entire fly.

9:00 a.m. on January 9, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Were you not worried about wiping off the sealent. I watched a few utube vids before I did my hammock tarp. Waiting about five mins between applying the goo and wiping it off ensures you maintain complete coverage. One guy wiped his immediately, then when he checked for leaks, you could see the spots he wiped it off. A good test is to wet it down then look at it from the inside, if any areas arent covered they will be wet and darker colored.

3:51 p.m. on January 11, 2013 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

HDM,

I waited about 3 to 5 mins before wiped it down. Plus I did not turn the folded paper towel so it did retain some of the coating. I wiped each area twice with a "coating-wetted" towel.

After it dried I could see I had complete coverage - the fabric was uniformily darker and a little shinier on the treated area.

I may do this on the inner tent floor. Given the comparatively light weight of this 2p tent a couple of extra ounces is negligible.

But, yes, I'll hose it down soon to check for poorly (re)coated areas.

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply