Pretty major down leakage, Should I be concerned?

11:30 p.m. on January 11, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
153 forum posts

Got a 0° down (REI Kilo plus) sleeping bag that seems to leak more down than what I think would be normal.  The good thing is that it leaks mostly very small feathers and usually not down clusters.  The bad thing is that it leaks from most of the seams on the bag.  After an average nights sleep when I wake up my clothes will have between 20 and 30 feathers on them which is much more leakage than my other down bags.

Most of the seams leak similar amounts to the attached pic.  I use the bag fairly frequently and after four years of use I haven't really noticed any difference in loft.  Still I'm debating either selling it before any substantial loft is lost or applying a thin line of seam grip glue to the seams to prevent further down leakage.  

What do you think.  If the bag doesn't leak clusters and only leaks small feathers, should I be concerned?
Sleeping-bag.jpg

8:06 a.m. on January 12, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,319 forum posts

Yeah REI branded items, and alot of other down store brand items seem to not have the best "down proof" shell material, or even if the material is down proof the seams sure dont seem to be,

My wife had the same issue and I diluted some seam sealer with some mineral spirits and seam sealed her bag. It worked like a charm and no problems after that.

Realistically its not that big of a deal, it takes alot of down loss to equate to anything. But if it bothers you (like it did my wife) seam sealing does work. No need for a thick layer, dilute it down and seal away.

4:44 p.m. on January 12, 2013 (EST)
52 reviewer rep
312 forum posts

That is more feather loss than I have experienced. One or two each time is about all we get with each use of jackets and bags. The seams are not sewn tight enough and as you use it quite a lot, you deserve better, so send it back. REI are good about returns and as an outdoor enthusiast you are exactly what they had in mind when they created their guarantee system, methinks.

7:15 p.m. on January 12, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
153 forum posts

Was scratch and dent otherwise I would consider exchanging it.

11:30 a.m. on January 13, 2013 (EST)
1,367 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

If you haven't noticed a difference in insulating value after 4 years, I wouldn't be too concerned. Besides, if it gets too thin you can always use that as an excuse to buy a new one and relegate the original one to spring/autumn use. 

Seriously, though, Rambler's solution sounds like a good one. 

3:56 p.m. on January 13, 2013 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
843 forum posts

go with seam sealing it. I have an REI-5 bag and I have yet to lose any down, but mine is old back when their quality was better. if you have had the bag for four years and it was a closeout returning it may not be an option. I'm not sure they would let you return a scratch and dent bag, now you know why it was scratch and dent!

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply