Delaminating Sleeping bag, suggestions!?

4:05 a.m. on January 24, 2013 (EST)
8 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

Hello all,

I purchased a sleeping bag via the internet and the person described it as good to great... long story short, it delaminating and looks like they put it in a drying on hot.  So now my question is, what effect does this have on the sleeping bag.  Next, is there anything I can do to slow the process down or even fix it?  It's an older feather friends (suppose to be -25f), so they won't touch it and I don't want to put myself in harms way with faulty equipment.

Thoughts or suggestions?

I performed a search but none related to how to fix it or how it will affect the performance.

Thanks in advance,
Charles

10:37 a.m. on January 24, 2013 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

What is delaminating from what surface?

Ed

12:23 p.m. on January 24, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,285 forum posts

Try some seam sealer or rubber cement.  That is a great sleeping bag and worth saving.  It would be worth some hand sewing if necessary.

6:34 p.m. on January 24, 2013 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,861 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

First question, how did you pay?

If you paid by say paypal or some other certified means(not a gift payment) you can get a refund and return the item. That is if the seller wont take it back on their own. If the item was not "as described" you have a case.

IF you want to keep it:

It is likely that the delaminating will have little to no effect, more a cosmetic thing. I assume you are refering to the seam taping maybe? or are you refering to the surface of the material coming off, it was a water reppelant material this would be the case.

If it is the surface of the material there are ways to wash it with a special detergent to completely strip it and then you can retreat the entire bag.

If its just the taping of the seams i wouldn't be too concerned because sleeping bags shouldn't really be sitting out in the rain anyways. But ppine is correct, you could apply a diluted seam sealer to hold it on/seal it where it has already come off completely.

Feathered friends i assume wouldn't do anything under warranty, however i would bet that if you wanted to pay for a repair they would take it in and do whatever needs to be done, i have never dealt with FF so this is only an assumption based on other companies in th same market/field.

I think for us to give you the best advice and help it would be good if you could post some pictures of the problem areas so we can see exactly what your talking about.

6:45 p.m. on January 24, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Stainless,

Does it still loft up? If it does you are still good to go. May not keep a -25F rating  but it may be close. It also will not be water resistant, but a bivy bag will solve that.

11:03 a.m. on January 26, 2013 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
1,285 forum posts

I like th bivy idea.  It would be a lot less ugly to look at, and would be afforded some protection from coming apart further.

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply