Saving mesh-toed shoes and boots

9:03 p.m. on February 7, 2013 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

I own Merrill Moab Ventilator trail shoes and Moab GTX Mid boots. Both have mesh toe areas and, while light and breathable, mesh is not the most durable material.

When one of the shoes showed the mesh beginning to get a tiny tear I decided to try a fix with SHOE GOO.

1. I masked off a 1/2" wide area to be treated for a clean look.

2. Next I colored the area to be repaired with black permenant marker. This keeps the SHOE GOO treatment looking more like the black toe cap.

3. Finally I applied the SHOE GOO to the masked area, rubbing it well into the mesh and let it dry overnight.

I've done this to both pair of shoes and so far it has made the toes much more durable and they look "factory done".

8:11 a.m. on February 8, 2013 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
606 forum posts

Thats a great idea, how did it affect air transfer. Ive got some summer boots that could use that treatment, but my feet sweat bad and I need the ventilatiion.

1:36 p.m. on February 9, 2013 (EST)
447 reviewer rep
277 forum posts

HDM,

It didn't affect breathability noticably because I covered only about one square inch of the mesh material with SHOE GOO.

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply