leaky footprint - Mountain Hardwear tent

12:06 a.m. on March 23, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,259 forum posts

The footprint for my circa 2000 Mountain Hardwear Skyview 1.5 soaks up water and it soaks in thru the floor of the tent.  What's the recommended way to re-waterproof the footprint (and tent floor)?

11:54 a.m. on March 23, 2013 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
968 reviewer rep
3,470 forum posts

If your Skyview is like mine the coating is Urethane.

I'm sure that MH can give you the best advise and may even fix the problem for you, although there are other places to buy Urethane & Silicone fabric coatings for a DIY repair. I re-coated mine using a Rubbermaid squeegee.

Here is a link to the MH contact page for customer service & warranty service.

I hope that helps.

Mike G.

12:01 p.m. on March 23, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,259 forum posts

Thanks Mike.  I did email them and was advised i needed to call and talk to them on the phone.  I haven't had the time during business hours to deal with a personal call :(.  Tent repair is something I do on my free time, not during work hours :).

12:08 p.m. on March 23, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,075 forum posts

Try putting your footprint on the inside of our tent.  That is where the wear comes from.

2:38 p.m. on March 23, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,259 forum posts

Hmmm.   I like to think I'm protecting the tent floor by using the footprint underneath.  Worst case, I can replace the footprint (or just start using plastic, like I do with my lightweight backpacking tent).  If the tent floor gets worn, I can't replace it...

3:12 p.m. on March 23, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

I'll second ppine on the footprint-inside idea. Old tent I had wore right through eventually, even with a footprint beneath. Of course I should have done a better job keeping sand and spruce needles out of the tent...

But now I carry two: the tent-specific one (usually inside the tent unless I need it for a wet-weather fly-first pitch), and a weedblock-fabric one, which always goes underneath, even if the custom one is down (so it's protecting the expensive footprint). Only a couple ounces added with the weedblock.

Another reason to put the footprint inside, if you do spring a leak in the floor, it's easier to keep stuff out of the water. I used that old worn tent for a while with a plastic painter's dropcloth inside on the leaky floor.

Hope you get 'er fixed up for the season, good luck!

4:54 p.m. on March 23, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,225 reviewer rep
1,259 forum posts

Actually now that I think of it, using a plastic sheet inside the tent was how I was taught to do it as a kid.  It was only when I started using tent-specific "footprints" that I started using them under the tent - since they're designed to work that way by clipping onto the poles.  

I still like the idea of protecting the tent floor with something that can be replaced.

6:29 p.m. on March 23, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Bill, if you want to do the fix yourself there is a product called Kenyon Recoat 3 that you could use to reseal the floor on your MH tent. Here is a link with a few reviews of the product for ya:

http://www.campmor.com/seam-sealant-recoat-3-10-oz-1.shtml 

Personally my first course of action would be to give MH a buzz and see what they say. They are typically pretty good about this type of thing. 

Hope this helps.

July 26, 2014
Quick Reply