Big Agnes tent zipper repair

11:41 p.m. on March 26, 2013 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,314 forum posts

I mentioned late last summer that the zipper on my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1 started giving me grief.  Part of it kept separating, and part of it bound up as I tried to zip it.  I finally got to send it in for repair recently and the Big Agnes people took good care of it for me.

I do appreciate their service, especially since zippers are a component that require maintenance.  This particular issue came about after relatively little use though.

This was a little different than my experience with Mountain Hardwear a while back, where they did the repair for free (even after more than a dozen years), without me having to ask.   BA initially wanted to charge me (a small fee) for the repair - plus the cost of return shipping.  I mentioned my surprise at this (since "the other supplier" did no such thing), and BA did waive it.  I would have paid it anyway, it wasn't that much ... though the return shipping part surprised me.

So in the end I'm a happy camper and glad to have my tent all like-new again.  Even so, I must say when I shop for another tent, I'll be inclined to favor a company where I know I don't need to worry about paying for warranty repairs &    shipping costs.

I've also read several stories recently of BA tent users on the JMT having issues ... broken poles, leaky tents, etc.  I feel fortunate that mine hasn't had that kind of issue ... yet...

Anyway, BA did suggest the use of Zip Care zipper cleaner & lubricant.  I got some and have applied it to both tents :).

9:46 p.m. on March 28, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
430 forum posts

Are these all YKK zippers?

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply