End of season DWR/cleaning maintenance.

1:40 p.m. on April 28, 2013 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Just is a little friendly "how too"  reminder for those that are putting up their winter gear for the season that utilizes a DWR coating. This is to make sure you get the most out of your investments:

Today's garments are designed to last a long time but they still need a lil tlc once in awhile to perform at their best.

Granted, this is the practice for Arc'teryx & Gore-tex(per title of vid) but even my eVent shell says "wash me often" on the tag so just follow the washing/treatment instructions recommended by the manufacturer and whatever treatment your are using(ie Nikwax/Grangers, etc.)

Happy hiking.

2:18 p.m. on April 28, 2013 (EDT)
59 reviewer rep
270 forum posts

Well now isn't that handy and timely. Gold star for Rick!

Today's forecast: high winds and freezing rain -- to be followed by a week of warmth and sunshine. Guess who was planning to spend the day prepping gear and packing? :)

3:01 p.m. on May 20, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

My favorite product is Revivex. There are a couple of types. Some are wash-in. Others you spray after washing a garment, then heat-set it in the dryer. I bought mine from Discovery Trekking but they are no longer shown on their website.

7:41 p.m. on May 20, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

I've found the trick for restoring an effective DWR treatment is to make sure  any old detergent that might still be in the fabric is completely removed beforehand. 

I wash with a tech wash, rinse a number of time (2-3), then wash in NikWax DWR, pulling the jacket out before the rinse cycle and baking it in the dryer. 

And thanks once again for the refresher, Rick. 

12:34 p.m. on August 16, 2013 (EDT)
45 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Not sure if this is the best place for this question but what the heck. I just picked up an inexpensive down jacket/shirt. It doesn't have a DWR coating on it but I hoped I could spray one on myself.

Has anyone tried this? Tips on products or techniques?

4:02 p.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

I don't see why you couldn't spray one on, as long as it doesn't soak through into the down. 

4:35 p.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
179 forum posts

I have tried some of the do-it-yourself applications for replacing or repairing the DWR on clothing. They never seem as good as those applied at the factory, but do work for a while. Of course the durability of the treatment will depend on how hard you use the particular article of clothing. Products used were Revivex and assorted Nikwax items. Can't really say which one worked the best so the choice is yours.

7:22 p.m. on August 19, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
836 forum posts

go with the nikwax. their stuff usually works.

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply