Kelty Clevis Pins-For Vintage Kelty Pack

2:01 p.m. on May 16, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I acquired a vintage Kelty external frame pack  (see thread link below with pics)

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/gear-selection/topics/144453.html

I ordered replacement shoulder straps from Kelty along with some replacement clevis pins.

The new shoulder straps are awesome but the clevis pins sent are a larger diameter than the holes in the pack's frame.

The rep at Kelty stated that those are the only pins they have.

The new pins sent are slightly less than 1/4" diameter.  The frame will accept pins around 3/16" in diameter.

I know that I can get stainless steel pins, but I would like to find some of the aluminum pins similar to the original ones.

Does anybody have any information about where I could find 4 or 6 of the smaller diameter aluminum pins about 1 1/4 in length? (aside from calling a custom fabrication shop...lol)  Google search was unsuccessful.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Chris

12:08 p.m. on May 18, 2013 (EDT)
21 reviewer rep
1,281 forum posts

Put a clevis that fits your frame in your pocket when you go shopping at outdoor stores.  You will find the right ones at many different places.  If that fails, go a fastener store like Fanstenal.

6:01 a.m. on May 19, 2013 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

I got some Kelty compatable clevis pins from REI not too many years ago.

Ed

6:37 a.m. on May 19, 2013 (EDT)
344 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

I've got an old Kelty that is completely dead. I would be happy to send you the pins that you need.

8:18 a.m. on May 20, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I did check with REI and a google search provides a link to Kelty clevis pins on their site, but the product shows up as no longer available.

Thanks for the reply!

Chris

10:44 p.m. on May 20, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

mikemorrow said:

I've got an old Kelty that is completely dead. I would be happy to send you the pins that you need.

I will gladly accept your offer, but I am not sure I have anything to offer in return, other than money.  Can you provide a price (including shipping)?

I am completely willing to trade the new pins I received from Kelty that do not fit my frame, if that would be of any use to you.

In either case, let me know how you wish to proceed.

Please let me know!

Thanks!

Chris

1:21 p.m. on June 1, 2013 (EDT)
255 reviewer rep
1,469 forum posts
12:49 p.m. on June 2, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Callahan:

Did you actually perform this google search and locate any aluminium clevis pins meeting the specifications I provided?

Before posting my question I did a pretty exhaustive search.   Please see previous posts in this thread. 

However, I also enjoy the opportunity to use "let me google that for you" every now and then, but only when the situation is appropriate.

Thanks.

December 17, 2014
Quick Reply