TNF Rainfly Repair?

11:16 a.m. on May 20, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP REVIEW CORPS
2,003 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Howdy, all!

I'm at the office, so I don't have a photo at hand (may post one later if it helps simplify explaining my problem).

Have to make a small repair on my tent after a trip this weekend.

I'm pretty sure I just need to find the right kind of adhesive, but I'll explain the problem in full:

I've a TNF Manta Ray 33, and on the inside surface of the rainfly are 6 velcro loops.

These loops are sewn onto transparent plastic "patches" that are adhered on the back of the rainfly, behind the fabric guy line loops. Instead of the guy line loops pulling on the rainfly fabric, these velcro loops attach to the poles underneath the fly and distribute the tension that way.

What kind of adhesive would I use to re-affix these so as not to damage or soak-through the rainfly fabric? I wouldn't want to compromise the tent's weather resistance, nor would I want to cause a chemical reaction that would eat away at the fabric.

Any and all help would come as much appreciated.

7:48 p.m. on May 20, 2013 (EDT)
BRAND REP REVIEW CORPS
2,003 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

After coming home and examining it beyond the "Dammit, it's broken" phase, It looks like whatever patch the velcro is stitched to is acting as seam tape, because without it, there's an obvious break in the taping of the rainfly along that seam. 

Is this just a job for a tube of Seam Grip and a steady hand? My only concern is the amount of tension that'll be working against this patch. If this is just an accepted fact of life when it comes to modern tents, so it goes, but if it isn't, and there's a solid way to make this repair, I'd love to know it.

Posted below is a picture, if it'll help any of y'all understand:

On the L - the exposed seam where the velcro loop and patch used to be

On the R - the velcro loop, with the patch still adhered to the rain fly

2013-05-20-18-11-08.jpg

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply