About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

bootlaces

7:04 p.m. on July 29, 2013 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
142 forum posts

Can anyone please explain why bootlaces are so long?  When you buy a new pair of boots, the laces are long enough to tie a normal knot and bow…and still leave about eighteen inches left over!  What do you do with that extra boot lace?  I started tying his into double knots, putting a half-hitch into my loops, but they were still too long.  Then I tied loops in my loops.  That worked…but seemed ridiculous. 

Now it must be said that I once played semi-pro sports, and I am well acquainted with the traditions of tying your laces in various ways for good luck, better performance, or silly stylistic affectations.  Still, these are ridiculous.

So one morning I noticed that the laces were beginning to wear out---right at the knot.  So I slid the laces around until I had just enough to tie a decent knot on one side,  then pulled the excess through on the other side.  It turned out to be about 20 inches long, so I chopped it off and tossed it into my pack.  My boots and laces work just fine now. 

Sounds like a plan.

9:00 a.m. on July 30, 2013 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,939 forum posts

I am not sure but know what you mean. I usually cut them after I find the amount of lace I need then either tie a tight knot in the ends or burn the ends so they don't fray, depending on the material the laces are made of.

On my older hiking boots in the 70s I used to wrap the extra lace around the top of the boots and tie them at the back to keep them from untying, till I learned to make a double loop before tying the bows and tying the bows to gether to keep them from untying on the trail.

10:38 a.m. on July 31, 2013 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

GaryPalmer said:

I learned to make a double loop before tying the bows and tying the bows together to keep them from untying on the trail.

That uses up a bit more of the extra lace. I do the same. One neat thing - whatever material Salomon uses in its laces, my current ones are the laces that came with the boots (3+ years old) and they show no signs of wear anywhere!

11:01 p.m. on August 1, 2013 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
834 forum posts

well, I don't know what kind of boots had the 20 inch long laces, but the laces on my lowas are just right!

April 24, 2014
Quick Reply