leaky platy :(

8:03 p.m. on February 20, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
104 forum posts

is there any way to repair a platy seam?

my platys seem to hold up through the warmer months,

but after a winter, the seams leak.

could this be from the temperature swings...

(cold pack>warm house, wash-rinse- & repeat)?

should I contact platy for a replacement, or is this par for course?

thanks!

9:16 p.m. on February 20, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,075 forum posts

I don't know about a Platy, but a couple years ago when my Camelbak's seam split I contacted the company and they sent me a new one, actually 3 new ones. Story is that when it happened I was near the end of a bike tour across Arizona from Flagstaff to Tucson via New Mexico. When I was a day away from Tucson, I was riding along and my back started getting soaked. I had the Camelbak in my daypack.

I stopped took it out and sure enough the seam had split. When I got to Tucson I contacted Camelbak by email. They said they would send a new bladder out by priority mail. I waited a week then emailed them again saying it had not come, they siad they would send another, I waited two weeks and the called the company and they sent a third. Two days later I went to the post office and all three had arrived the same day.

Being honest, I emailed the company asking where to send two of the replacements back to. They said to keep them. I sold the extra two.

Hope Platypus(?) will send you a new one. I tried using duct tape on mine but it was not good enough. 

10:14 p.m. on February 20, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER
906 reviewer rep
65 forum posts

I don't think they're repairable.  Has anyone tried to do a heat repair perhaps?

As for contacting Platy, it can't hurt.  I would not personally be upset if they didn't replace it, but they might.  Give it a swing and let us know!

7:29 a.m. on February 21, 2014 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,366 reviewer rep
373 forum posts

Not sure how you are using the bags but are they freezing at all? Ice expansion will stress them pretty badly so I always under fill if freezing is a possibility.

4:54 p.m. on February 22, 2014 (EST)
21 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

If it's a small hole, like a pinhole from folding, seam grip would work.  But you are saying the seam is giving out?  That is strange - mine seem pretty tough.  I haven't actually gotten a leak from folding, but just anticipate that would be the first place to go.

10:30 a.m. on February 23, 2014 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,424 reviewer rep
1,283 forum posts

i would send back to the manufacturer.  

4:17 p.m. on February 24, 2014 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
411 reviewer rep
1,024 forum posts

I'd send it back too. Anything strong enough to bond the plastic and fix the leak probably won't be very good to get in your water. Platypus has been good about replacing my busted bottles in the past.

8:29 a.m. on February 25, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
104 forum posts

back it went.

as did my .02 how thinner isn't better in the long run (get it)? :)

thanks again kids! :)

10:22 a.m. on February 25, 2014 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,075 forum posts

;p

July 28, 2014
Quick Reply