waterproof stuff sack repair?

8:33 p.m. on March 8, 2014 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

my O.R. waterproof stuff sack of 15 years...

the seam lining is peeling off.

can it be salvaged?

(I'd like to think I can get through the LT on a temporary fix)

if so, using what?

I store my down bag in this.

translation:

if the risk of it leaking outweighs the cost of purchasing a new one...

enough said. :)

thanks, kids!

11:53 a.m. on March 9, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,522 reviewer rep
891 forum posts

I don't know the answer to your question, but waterproof stuff sacks are so cheap these days, I would just retire this one and thank it for 15 reliable years.

1:01 p.m. on March 9, 2014 (EDT)
210 reviewer rep
4,346 forum posts

Actually you could just put a trash can liner bag over the stuff sack if you don't want to buy a new stuff sack. When I bicycle tour I use a trash can liner over my sleeping bag stuff sack to keep the rain,snow and water from my rear tire from wetting my bag.

What I do being most trash can liners are so big is put the sleeping bag stuffed into the corner of the trash bag, then twist the closest part to the bag and then put the rest of the trash bag back over the stuff sack and tie it off with a twist tie.

2:44 p.m. on March 9, 2014 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,200 forum posts

This brings up the interesting policy of replacement and which gear is "disposable".  I consider stuff sacks to be totally disposable and would not hesitate to get replacements.  So, I guess I've been thru dozens of stuff sacks---especially the ones used for food bags.

Other pieces I consider disposable might surprise some people---socks (of course), boots, sleeping pads (often replaced), spoons, merino clothing, gloves OF COURSE, etc.

3:54 p.m. on March 9, 2014 (EDT)
BRAND REP REVIEW CORPS
2,003 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

If that bag is in charge of protecting your down bag, yeah - go ahead and buy a new one. Totally not worth the risk of ruining something that expensive, and moreover, crucial when it comes to a good night's rest. 

I used a dry sack for a little while, but it was expensive, and once it was compromised, it'd be another $30 to buy another. Making it just as disposable as say, a plastic bag. I've used trash bags as liners, like Gary, but one better?

Jrenow got me hooked on using plastic trash compactor bags when we hiked Shawnee National Forest in the rain - just make darn sure to twist/tie the top up.

A.) They're readily available - find a grocery store, and you've found these bags.

B.) A heck of a lot thicker and more durable than your run-of-the-mill Hefty.

C.) If breaks? Simply tear another off the roll, and start fresh. 

D.) That roll should last you a pretty long time. And it's only 5 or 6 bucks. 

8:07 p.m. on March 9, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

WORD. :)

for the price (and mental comfort) of a new one,

i'll throw down & sleep soundly (and warmly). 

this oldie-but-goodie is an O.R. size 4.

it appears this sizing system is outdated (surprise, surprise) :)

...so many new digs...

suggestions?

*O.R.

*sea-to-summit?

*other?

*the present-day size 4 equivalent would be....?

thanks! :)

8:39 p.m. on March 9, 2014 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,098 forum posts

Here's and Idea for you to look at Cubin Fiber Stuff Sack. www.Zpacks.com

Look under accesssories they weigh less than a dry bag .They have a 4 liter...

8:53 a.m. on March 10, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
488 reviewer rep
1,087 forum posts

I use a trash compactor bag or a HUGE sea to summit sil nylon dry sack to line my entire pack. dry clothes go on the bottom, sleeping bag on top, then "accessories" on top of that.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/sea-to-summit/ultra-sil-dry-sacks/

I'm a fan of the 35 liter size. Lines the whole pack.

9:58 a.m. on March 10, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,054 reviewer rep
457 forum posts

I'll add a vote for both Sea To Summit and garbage bags.  I have a big STS bag for food, another smaller one for sleep clothes and any fall back insulation that doubles as my pillow.  Bedding and shelter go into garbage bags as needed depending on weather.

8:44 p.m. on March 10, 2014 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,522 reviewer rep
891 forum posts

Since we're on the subject, I just line my pack with a garbage bag and shove everything in loose. The only thing in stuff sacks is my food, and those stay outside of the garbage bag.

10:30 p.m. on March 10, 2014 (EDT)
BRAND REP REVIEW CORPS
2,003 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

Right on, Goose.

Heck, if there wasn't a need to hang food, I'd probably even forego the food stuff sack (I've got two back pockets on my Mountainsmith that could accomplish the same). 

Back on track, though:

One immediate realization I made when Joseph loaned me a trash compactor bag?

It was WHITE.

Meaning the contrast between the color of the bag and the contents inside it made it SO much easier to figure out what was what and where it was all at.

Sounds like it errs on OCD (and even if it does), use a white bag.

I've used the black Hefty bags, too, when desperation made my decision for me, but the white ones make it less work to find things. 

4:10 p.m. on March 12, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

seth~

having checked out the STS ultra-sil that you suggested...

(rave reviews on BC.com  btw)

you wrote...

"I use a trash compactor bag or a HUGE sea to summit sil nylon dry sack to line my entire pack"

i see too there's a NANO ultra-sil...

* any preference between the two?

* do you just use the one-size-fits-all approach?

(meaning no separate dry sack for sleeping contents)?

i dig the idea but my one & one primary concern:

one dry sack for everything, pouring rain, to access one or two items exposes all pack contents....

i'm favorable to the compartmentalized approach...it seems to work quite well for me...

however, i'm certainly receptive to your idea

(i'm willing to cut corners in all the right places)

perhaps you could further speak to my concern?

thanks! :)

12:17 p.m. on March 19, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
488 reviewer rep
1,087 forum posts

I use the massive Sea to Summit bag as a pack liner. I put the sleeping bag in there first, then clothes on top, then seal it. I like this, becuase it's an effective pack liner, doesn't weigh much, and doubles as a vapor barrier liner for my sleeping bag in extreme cold. Here's me preparing for a week in the Steese NCA in Alaska:
Picture-269.jpg

On top of the sealed bag, I put a smaller stuff sack with food and other things I might need to get to in a hurry. When I hit camp, I take out my food, pitch my shelter, then dump the dry bag with my sleeping bag and clothes in the shelter.

I've enjoyed trash compactor liners for longer hikes, and Included a fresh one in drops every 5-6 weeks, as they tend to wear out.

This "style" works well for me, but is so personal I couldn't vouch that it would work well for others. A lot of people like more smaller stuff sacks, for example.

6:41 p.m. on March 20, 2014 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
875 reviewer rep
49 forum posts

Have you called OR to ask about repair/replacement options? OR really stands behind their products and will often work with you to make sure things can be fixed or replaced.

I successfully sliced a pair of hardshell pants in a ski wreck this year and called OR to see if they would repair them or send me a patch. With no questions asked they sent me a new pair of pants as a replacement.

3:04 p.m. on March 22, 2014 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

jim~

three words:

well past warranty.  :)

otherwise I would. :)

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply