Simple, cheap weatherproof camera case

4:12 a.m. on October 29, 2017 (EDT)
303 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

DSC06470.jpg DSC06471.jpg

If you are into lightweight hiking, carrying 1.5 kg (3 lb) of DSLR doesn't look like a good idea. Fortunately there are now small, lightweight cameras with 1 inch or lager sensors (e.g. the Sony RX100 series) that provide good image quality, in my view at least equal to a middling DSLR with a kit lens. You can also fit filters to these compact cameras using Lensmate adaptors. Compared to the average point-and-shoot or phone, they have bigger sensors, better lenses and typically only weigh about 300 g (10 oz), a third to a fifth of a DSLR.

These small cameras take great photos but for use in the wild they have a major drawback: no protection against dust and rain unlike the better DSLRs. After having lost one camera to dust and two to water, I decided I needed better protection. There are commercial weatherproof bags available (e.g. Ortleib) that offer solid protection but they come in a limited range of sizes and can weigh as much as a small camera.

After trying a variety of approaches I invented this: A simple modification of a standard non-weatherproof camera case that provides protection against rain, dust and a little dunking in the sea or river. It also adds virtually nothing to the weight of the basic case. I have used this and a similar case for about two years now in lots of adverse conditions including New Zealand's notoriously wet Milford Track and two weeks in typhoon rain on Japan's 88 Temples walk with no problems other than what to do in the rain when you take the camera out of its case.

This is what I used:

• Standard camera case: Lowepro Dashpoint Camera Pouch. This is fairly light weight and well padded, fits compact cameras well but has a fiddly zipper that is hard to close one-handed. Nothing is perfect. Weight: 61 g (2 oz).
  • Drybag: Exped Fold Drybag UL (ultralight) in XXS size. This is made from 15 D ripstop nylon, is light weight, flexible and waterproof with the top folded. Weight: 12 g (0.5 oz).
  • Velcro: One piece of 50 mm (2 inch) wide loop Velcro and one piece of 20 mm (3/4 inch) wide hook Velcro. Weight: negligible

The result is a weatherproof case that I can carry attached to my backpack strap in all weathers . Mine weighs 73 g (2.5 oz) and cost me about $AU 40 for case and drybag.

Here's how to make your own:

1. Find a camera case and lightweight drybag that suits your camera. The drybag needs to be big enough to get at least three folds with the camera in the case.
    DSC06474.jpg
  2. Cut a square piece of the 50 mm wide loop Velcro (round the corners) and glue it to the inside bottom of the bag. I used a clear plastic solvent-based adhesive but any flexible adhesive like contact glue should work. Putting the loop Velcro on the inside means that if you use the case without the drybag liner the Velcro won't scratch your camera.
    DSC06489.jpg
  3. Cut a 50 mm (2 inch) long piece of 20 mm wide Velcro (round the corners) and sew it to the bottom of the drybag. (I started with 50 mm wide but it takes too much effort to detach it from the case. I also tried gluing but the force needed to separate the Velcro meant that it pulled off after a few uses.)
    DSC06498.jpg
  4. Since the holes from sewing are potential water entry points, they need to be sealed. You could use a commercial seam sealer but as I pointed out in another post, there are cheaper alternatives. Just to be safe, it is worth testing the seal by inflating the bag and dunking it in water.
    DSC06494.jpg

That's it. When the seam sealant and glue have dried, fit the drybag to the camera case using the Velcro, put your camera in, roll over the top of the dry bag and push it over the end of the camera to make a neat fit.

DSC06486.jpgIn dry weather you could remove the drybag but I just push it into the bottom of the case and put the camera in on top of it.

5:33 p.m. on October 30, 2017 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,501 reviewer rep
225 forum posts

Good work, I like little DIY projects like this. Nothing spectacular here, but sometimes the most elegant solution is pretty mundane.

Just curious about the cost of a similar-sized camera case that was made to be waterproof, to see how much you saved by using a little ingenuity and elbow grease.

7:10 a.m. on October 31, 2017 (EDT)
303 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

The smallest Ortlieb camera bag (Protect) I can find in Australia costs $AU 99.95 and weighs 110 g.

4:48 p.m. on October 31, 2017 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
11,286 reviewer rep
1,346 forum posts

Nice. Way to improvise!

10:57 a.m. on November 1, 2017 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
848 reviewer rep
3,841 forum posts

Thanks for sharing your DIY weatherproof camera case, Ian!

12:00 a.m. on November 2, 2017 (EDT)
847 reviewer rep
480 forum posts

Thanks for the great tip. Good case. OR... you can buy an Olympus TG-5 which is waterproof to 60 feet.

Eric B.

5:52 a.m. on November 2, 2017 (EDT)
303 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

Yes, great camera (I have a TG-2), but not quite the same image quality.

9:21 a.m. on November 3, 2017 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,159 forum posts

I use a freezer Ziploc bag for a cheap lightweight camera waterproof bag. After slipping in a creek and dousing my camera I starting doing that. Freezer bags are heavier duty nylon/plastic and are more durable.

I use Ziploc bags to store all my outdoor things from dry clean clothes, dirty clothes,and anything/everything I want to keep separated. 

4:02 a.m. on November 8, 2017 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,883 forum posts

+1 for Ziplocs.  You can even carry a spare and still be UL. 

Ed

11:53 p.m. on November 29, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,589 reviewer rep
43 forum posts

I use a Ziploc also for my small point and shoot Canon and find that it is all that I need, but I really like what you did with your DYI approach.

December 10, 2017
Quick Reply