Sharpening Crampons?

9:53 a.m. on March 2, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

I have a pair of Grivel 10 point crampons that I use for mountaineering that need sharpening. They are not used for any ice climbing. Any tips on how best to sharpen and shape the points? Thanks, Darryl K and daughter Ally.

3:00 p.m. on March 2, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Grinding wheel

In theory, this could harm the metal. In practice, I've always done it that way and never had any breaks. It is faster than using a file. Don't grind the same point too long. Rotate. Some tell tale hot coloring will appear (supposed to be bad) but it is ok if you keep the rotation going until you are satisfied. BTW, I am the kind that keep them in boulder fields once I have put them on so I have tested my own theory. Hope that helps.

3:34 p.m. on March 4, 2002 (EST)
(Guest)

Re: Grinding wheel

I say just take a hand file and remove the little rough burrs on the sides of the points. Easy, doesn't take long, and it's just hard to mess it up. I don't see any reason to go at them with a grinding wheel, as it only takes about fifteen minutes to do a pair of 12 point Sabertooths. Remember it's easier to take material off than put it back on, and if you goof with a grinding wheel you could regret it. That's what I think.

PamolaPat

October 24, 2014
Quick Reply