About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Seam Sealing: Inside or Out?

12:52 a.m. on April 8, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I am seam sealing my new tent for the first time. I have never done it before. Should I use the seam sealer on the inside of the tent or outside? PLEASE HELP!

4:48 a.m. on April 8, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Every tent, regardless of who manufactures it or what design it is, will need to have its seams sealed. The material used in tent construction has water-resistant polyurethane applied while the material is in large rolls. This makes the fabric water-resistant. When this material is sewn together to make the tent, the needle used in the industrial sewing machine pokes thousands of holes in the tent fabric; these holes need to be sealed.

After you set up the tent, apply the sealer to the seams from the inside of the tent. At stress points, such as the corners and at places where it is particularly important that the tent be most water-resistant, the sealer should be applied to both the inside and the outside of the tent. If the tent has a rainfly, both sides of the fly should be sealed. Any seams that are at ground level should be sealed on both sides of the tent. If the tent floor has a seam that is not factory sealed, it will need seam sealer. The bottom portion of the windows where some water may collect if the window is zipped should be sealed inside and out, too.

After the sealer has been applied, allow it to dry for several hours. Once the sealer is dry, close the tent up and hose it down, giving it a thorough soaking. Do not use a high pressure spray on the tent; use a soaking spray like a rain shower. This will "size" the tent, much like washing a new pair of jeans. After that, let the tent dry thoroughly. Then pack it up, and it is ready to go. This initial seam sealing should last for several years.
Source : http://www.academy.com/WebContent.nsf/56cff93ae1a8056086256a7900816b58/fe937e090cd2303d86256aaa005af87a!OpenDocument

April 20, 2014
Quick Reply