Leki Poles - Help me pleez!

11:59 a.m. on May 4, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hi, here's a common question for which I don't know the answer...

I've had my trusty Lekis for years now and they have reached the point where I just can't get them
to tighten down anymore. The threads on the compression fitting seem to be a bit chalky. Who has
the best recommendation on how to spiff/lube them so that they will tighten the way they should.
They're a real pain anymore!

Thanks,
C

5:01 p.m. on May 4, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Replace the expanders

REI has the repair parts you need. I did it to mine and they're like new (well.. almost) now.

ag

10:13 p.m. on May 4, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. David Mills

I used to have leki supper makalu trekking poles with the shock absorption. worked fine for a while..then would never tighten. then switchd to the flick lock kind (black diamond aproach) and no problems. I dont like the twist lock mechanism....for the problems you have had.

Quote:

I've had my trusty Lekis for years now and they have reached the point where I just can't get them
to tighten down anymore. The threads on the compression fitting seem to be a bit chalky. Who has
the best recommendation on how to spiff/lube them so that they will tighten the way they should.

Thanks,
C

11:14 p.m. on May 5, 2002 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
43 forum posts
Re: Replace the expanders

You need to clean the poles occasionally. Take them apart after they get wet or aluminum oxide forms and will gum up the expanders and spring systems.
Loosen expanders (not too far, just loose), pop them apart and allow to dry.
To clean a 20 guage shotgun brush is good, Leki offers a steel brush kit that uses the poles themselves.
Brush and wipe out. New expanders are a good idea (brake shoes wear out too). NO lubricants, graphite, etc. Nothing.
Or bring them to Trail Days and get it done free.

Quote:

REI has the repair parts you need. I did it to mine and they're like new (well.. almost) now.

ag

8:26 p.m. on May 6, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: Replace the expanders

in my case, the expanders plastic got so stiff it didn't matter how dry the tube was, they wouldn't allow the threaded stud to run through, just make the expander spin.

Of course any lubricant will be a detriment to the twisting process where the friction between the expander and tube is required so the stuud can thread into them to spread them. Maybe this is a case where the Flintloks (?) would be better like some one else suggested, but the replacement parts are much cheaper than a whole new set of poles.

12:41 a.m. on May 7, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Re: just switched expanders between poles

Quote:

i bought a pair of komperdell antishock poles, and on the second trip i began to have this problem. i switched expanders between poles and found that they both began to work again. its not a good fix, but it got me throught the rest of the trip.
in my case, the expanders plastic got so stiff it didn't matter how dry the tube was, they wouldn't allow the threaded stud to run through, just make the expander spin.

Of course any lubricant will be a detriment to the twisting process where the friction between the expander and tube is required so the stuud can thread into them to spread them. Maybe this is a case where the Flintloks (?) would be better like some one else suggested, but the replacement parts are much cheaper than a whole new set of poles.

1:22 p.m. on May 13, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Each of several causes will require diff fix. Most likely just needs TLC. Will make assumption for following that your Lekis have the plastic expanding piece on threaded end. Much older camming piece very diff.

- Threads betw plastic and end of pole are caked, thereby preventing plastic piece from being threaded into open position. Unscrew plastic piece, clean threads on plastic expander and on pole end, apply tiny amount of silicone spray to metal threads. Screw plastic expander back onto pole end. Do not use regular oil here as it could easily drip out onto inner pole making things worse, and oil can pick up dirt due to tackiness whereas silicone leaves much drier, thinner, less tacky coating.

- Plastic expander might simply be spinning inside pole. If threads clean (plastic piece screws on and off metal end easily)then expander could be a bit too small to grab inner pole surface. Pry plastic expander "leaves" out a bit to make expander tighter in pole. Test by reassembling. If plastic slides into upper pole easily, then need to spread plastic more. Plastic end of pole section should slide into upper pole requiring at least a small amount of pressure - it shouldn't slide in easily.

- Clean inside of upper pole section. Over time, dirt and oxide layer forms inside pole. Plastic expander can't grab a layer of dirt very well, so it can't get good enough grip. Use any rifle cleaning kit with rags or paper towel pieces to swab inside of pole. Use Formula 409 or such, followed by copious amts of water to rinse. Dry inside thoroughly and keep pole sections apart for a few days in warm area to really dry.

With these steps taken your Lekis should be like new, and better, you'll be better educated on how to prevent future prob and best, you'll be capable of effecting trailside repair if poles slip on critical downhill reach while exhausted. My Lekis are pretty old and worn and I've never had to replace parts - just clean 'em from time to time. Might sound unbelievable but I've never had my Lekis slip more than an occasional slow slide when I didn't quite turn 'em hard enough before strenuous climb. But a quick turn to retighten made them firm again for remainder of trip. Key is routine maintenance, which most people either don't do, or can't do. Leki poles have been very good to me - so far!

<|;')~

Quote:

Thanks,
C

September 18, 2014
Quick Reply