Tent Hole

1:18 p.m. on July 20, 2003 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have a hole down 1 side of my tent. It begins at a seem and continues about 1/2 way down the side (not in a seem.) Is this fixable? If so, how do I go about doing it?. I can not get the tent up as everytime I attempt, the hole becomes bigger.
Thanks

2:44 p.m. on July 20, 2003 (EDT)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Quote:

I have a hole down 1 side of my tent. It begins at a seem and continues about 1/2 way down the side (not in a seem.) Is this fixable? If so, how do I go about doing it?. I can not get the tent up as everytime I attempt, the hole becomes bigger.

Sounds like a tear? You didn't state what kind of material the the tent is made of but assuming that it is some kind of coated nylon - I would do the following. First I would open the tent up and somehow put a little bit of tension on the area around the rip to set the nylon into its correct setup position, then maybe put a few pieces of masking tape across the rip to hold everything in place. Then using a similar color thread (Dacron maybe - not cotton)and a needle - carefully sew the hole closed using small stitches. Then I would use a thin layer of seam-grip over the stitches and the rip to glue it closed and to seal the tiny holes from the needle (apply with a brush). Depending on how good of job you do, this migh complete the repair, or you might want to reinforce this with a piece of one inch wide nylon tape glued down over the seam - again with seam grip. If you do this last operation - put waxed paper over the length of the tape after it is placed (maybe on both sides) and weigh it down along the length of the seam. I would personally apply seam grip to the back of the tape with a brush, and to the area where the tape will be placed first.

Note on seam grip. There is a catalyst that you can buy with seam grip. If you use a few drops of it your glue will set up in 15 minutes instead of 24 hours. Also you should be careful about seam grip getting through the seam on the first glueing and put some waxed paper behind it so your tent doest get glued together.

Jim S (:->)

October 23, 2014
Quick Reply