SLEEPING BAG REPAIR

8:04 a.m. on February 9, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

I just acquired an old Alp Sport down sleeping bag. The bag had some duct tape on a couple of area. I washed and driedf the bag thoroughly, removed the tape and re-stuffed the baffle with down, then applied iron-on patches - trouble is, the patches want to peel off just a little.

Question: Does anyone know of a patch kit that works with nylon bag covers, that won't peel off? Or, what is the best way to repair this kind of hole?

Thanks in advance!

1:22 p.m. on February 9, 2004 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,445 reviewer rep
5,389 forum posts

I just stitch the tears closed. I haven't had a lot of problem with tears in sleeping bags over the years, although I have with down jackets and vests (comes from climbing in them). If you apply some seam sealer to the stitching afterward, it helps plug the needle holes that down might leak through. Doesn't make an invisible patch, but, BFD, it's for camping and who cares about looks when you are camping anyway.

7:42 p.m. on February 9, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

Thanks.

I'm way beyond aesthetics - this bag is simply amazing! I got the thing for a song, it was scarred and torn and dirty and I didn't really expect alot from it - washed it and dried it (several times) with a couple of tennis shoes and it cleaned up nicely.

Didn't know what the temp rating was or the loft of fill, but it said about 1.9 lbs of goose down - I figure bet. 10-20F. I've had it out one night, down to about 28F, and it was very very warm (warm enough to need to vent the feet).

It's a definite keeper, still a little homely but what a great bag! I'll take your advice.

Thanks!

......boy, the things folks throw away.... ;)

5:06 p.m. on November 27, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

i am looking fdor a place that will take in some sleeping bags and fill them with down and then repair any holes that are in the bags. This should not be a real big deal but everyone says that they do not do it or if the bag offends them in any way or if this or if thator how about just fix the damn thing and charge accordingly that is my moto and m y customer has no problem paying! So is there a shop out there willing to take on the challenge.
P.S. The bag appears to have been left in the compression sack to long. It needs a seam fixed and new down. I have not seen the other two bags that he would like to get done but I would wager the same problem exists.

December 19, 2014
Quick Reply