tent repair

4:37 p.m. on February 27, 2004 (EST)
(Guest)

I have a Garuda Kaja tent. Unfortunately I wasn't able to go camping for a long time and when I recently took it out of it's bag I noticed it has a hole in the roof area. I still have the four patches it came with but have no clue as to how to use them. In other words, how do I patch a hole in the roof of my tent.

7:28 a.m. on February 28, 2004 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts
If it were my tent.....

the tent repair experts will eventually chime in here but in the meantime here is how I would fix mine.

Set the tent up.

I would get two pieces of tent repair tape. Cut them about 1 inch larger than the hole (in width and length) and round of the corners. I would then make a tent tape sandwich over the hole - one piece on the exterior of the tent, the other on the interior. Make sure the two pieces of tape are stuck together where the hole is.

Clean with alcohol and then put seam sealer on all the cleaned edges of the repair tape (exterior and interior pieces).

allow seam sealer to cure.

I'd wait at least 24 hours and then give your tent the old lawn sprinkler test.

7:19 p.m. on March 1, 2004 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,457 reviewer rep
5,393 forum posts
Instructions

Quote:

I have a Garuda Kaja tent.

Garuda was a very reputable major expedition tent manufacturer, formerly owned by Dana. Dana Gleason sold his pack and tent company a few years back, so Garuda tents may not be made anymore. They provided a detailed instruction sheet with your tent (which may not have gotten past the dealer, but that's another story). Although their tents were not the most expensive of the high-end expedition tents (but almost), your tent is well worth investing time, effort, expense to repair it correctly. Mountain Gear, Northern Mountain Supply, Backcountry Gear, and others used to sell them, so I would contact one or more of them for advice, and I would look for someone who specializes in tent repair. Do it yourself is less expensive, but unless you are as skilled as Ed G or Jim S with the repair tape and know how the various brands of seam sealer stick (or don't) to various fabrics, I would go with a tent professional. Now if this were a Eureka tent ({8=>D}, I would say, just get some good old rip-stop tape from REI or EMS, slap it on inside and outside (trim to be about 1" larger in dimension than the hole, match the inside and outside patches), and go camping. But a Garuda (or Bibler, or Marmot, or Integral Designs or a few others) calls for a pro. (If it were a Hillary, I would say toss it and buy a new one). (egad, OGBO is in a curmudgeonly mood today, isn't he?)

December 21, 2014
Quick Reply