Inflatable mattress & seaming the tent

10:15 a.m. on August 1, 2005 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Question #1
My son got one for his birthday, it's Northeast Outfitters. No instructions came with it, so must be a no brainer to figure out. I do have a question. You open the tabs to let it self-inflate & open the tabs to deflate.
Is there a trick to get it to deflate?....other than rolling up, unrolling, rolling up, etc? The straps won't go around yet.

Question# 2
I saw someone speak about seaming the tent before putting up. What does this entail? We purchased a 3 room tent and now the 2nd time we have used it, it leaked in spots around the edges & couple corners in the top.

Thanks.........

1:01 p.m. on August 1, 2005 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Just as you suggest, rolling up the mattress from the opposite end of the valve should sqeeze out the air.
As for the tent, you need to get a tube of seam sealer. McNett is one brand. Your local outdoor store should have it or you can buy it online from one of the many outdoor websites. It is a glue-like goo that you smear over the seams. If you can turn the tent inside out, that may make it easier to get at the seams. Follow the directions on the package, let it dry thoroughly and that should solve the problem. If it still leaks, do it again. The sewing on some tents isn't always the best so be sure to coat anywhere you see stitching-that's most likely what's leaking.

October 22, 2014
Quick Reply