Leaky gas canister 'Normal'?

7:04 a.m. on January 16, 2006 (EST)
(Guest)

This may seem like a dumb question, cause it is; but I just got a primus gravity stove and a coleman gas canister to go with it. Thing is when I screwed them together the gas canister leaked around the rim of the fitting. So I returned the gas canister and the shop gave me two new ones. But exactly the same thing happens with both of those. 3 out of 3! so I got wondering if I'm worrying to much? If I unscrew a little the leaking stops so I thought I was simply over-tightning but then no gas comes through the stove!

Any suggestions?

7:14 a.m. on January 16, 2006 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

when I hear my Camping Gaz stove leaking fuel it's a result of the o-ring on the bottom of the stove that is not seated properly.

8:39 a.m. on January 16, 2006 (EST)
(Guest)

The o-ring was my original suspicion, however I don't think its the o-ring as 1) it gets worse as I tighten it and 2) When I test with soapy water; the bubbles appear to come from the canister. I've put a link to the photo:

http://tinypic.com/kcecyr.jpg

I'm starting to wonder if there is a compatibility issue between coleman gas and primus stove?

1:03 p.m. on January 16, 2006 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

This is definitely NOT normal! The Coleman canisters are standard screw-attachment and work on my Primus and MSR and Barb's Markill stoves just fine. However, I usually use Primus, MSR, and Markill canisters (MSR and Markill are isobutane/propane mixes, Primus is butane/isobutane/propane mix, so work to lower temperatures than the Coleman butane/propane mix). I would take the stove back to the dealer and have them look at it. They should replace it with one that fits properly.

The most likely culprit is the O-ring that is inside the fitting on the stove side. I would suspect that it got twisted or cut somehow, possibly by a sharp piece on the valve of the first canister (the sheet metal is pretty thin and could get damaged in shipment, although there is supposed to be a plastic snap-on cover to protect the valve in shipment). If the O-ring got damaged or twisted, the leak will get worse with further tightening. If the O-ring were old, as Ed suggests, it will develop cracks, and the leak will also get worse as you continue to tighten it (Ed's Gaz stove is slightly different, but the principle is the same - Gaz is owned by Coleman, as the old British stove company Epigas - Gaz uses an unthreaded version of the attachment, while Epi did the threaded version, as did Primus, Markill, MSR, and most of the others).

It may be as simple as replacing the O-ring, but definitely take the whole thing back to the dealer and have them deal with it. You really do not want to have the leaking gas ignite. One highly likely result is overheating of the canister with a resulting explosion and lots of shrapnel, lots of flame, maybe a big fireball.

5:39 a.m. on January 17, 2006 (EST)
(Guest)

I've had a look at the o-ring and it looks fine (to me). The stove is brand new I didn't even get to light it; probably a good thing by the sound of it! So I think I'll just swap the stove for another. It appears no-one else is having problems; I guess its just bad luck on my part..

Cheers guys for your responses; hopefully one day I'll be able to reciprocate.

September 17, 2014
Quick Reply