ZIPPERS!

11:56 a.m. on July 25, 2006 (EDT)
(Guest)

I have a Wentzel that just quit zipping....is there any way to fix it or is it time for a new tent? TIA!

1:05 a.m. on July 26, 2006 (EDT)
5 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Often the problem is in the zipper pulls. Dirt/grit wears the zipper pull so that it does not make secure closure of the two halves of the zipper tape. The zipper halves split apart after the zipper pull has gone by.

Plam A---I would try rinsing the zipper pull to clean out dirt/grit and then gently squeezing each of the two sides of the zipper pull with a needle nose pliers. You don't have to squeeze much. This is compensate for the worn metal inside the zipper pull and the resulting slightly larger space in the zipper pull.

Its worked for me on an REI tent that I found at a thrift shop. It had a not saying the zipper did not work (the zipper separated) and was for sale for real cheap --$5. A few minutes with the needle nose pliers and the problem was solved.

Plan B - It is possible replace the zipper pull with a replacement. I have done this on packs and coats. A tent might be tougher due to seams involved at the end of the tape.

Check out this link to the Rain Shed catalog (of Corvallis, OR) http://www.therainshed.com/ The rainshed sells ziper pulls of various sizes. The folks there are very helpful.
The hard copy catalogue has tips on zipper repairs. i didn't see those online.

Plan C - Donate to Thrift shop and let some else take a crack at it....

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply