On knowledge of Titanium cookware

1:23 a.m. on August 15, 2006 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

TitanPure Titanium Cookware Care
Attention for Using:
1. Use low heat. Your titanium cookware heats quickly requiring no preheating and the use of lower heat settings.
2. Never leave an empty pan on a hot burner or allow a pan to boil dry, which can cause deformation and or discoloration.
3. Be careful when adding water-based foods to cooking oils in any hot pan.
4. Use minimal cooking oil when cooking to help avoid burning.
5. Be careful to not touch the pan while cooking. Especially keep away from children.
6. Position cookware on the stove to ensure the handle does not come in direct contact with heat source.
7. Do not use metal cooking utensils, use only wood or plastic utensils when cooking in titanium cookware.
8. Titanium cookware is not recommended for use in ovens.

Maintenance and Care for Titanium Cookware:
1. Do not use abrasive cleansers, or metal scouring pads when cleaning your titanium cookware.
2. Use only liquid dish detergent, and soft sponge to clean.
3. If burnt or scorched food is difficult to remove, put water in the pan and boil. Then clean with liquid detergent and use only nylon scouring pads that provide scouring power without abrasiveness. work well to remove burnt food. Boil water in pan after cleaning to regenerate the TiO2 coating.
4. Antibacterial Ti02 layer will restore itself after contact with air or water. Placing titanium cookware in sunlight, or UV source promotes the photocatalysis properties of titanium and will ensure a clean surface.

The mentioned above,which I just want to share the knowledge.If who has a better way,please let met know.

Sincerely,
Jefflv

4:10 p.m. on November 8, 2006 (EST)
(Guest)

Hello all,
I have a question regarding Tit. cookware. Is it suggested to use Titanium cookware over an open flame (i.e., firepite), or is that a no-no? Is it strictly for stove cooking only? Thanks.

-Rich

3:00 a.m. on November 11, 2006 (EST)
72 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Rich,
I would not cook over an open flame if I were you. I have found that titanium will become deformed and discolored when cooking over an open flame, but not at all when it is used with my stove. That is just my experience, but my friends have had the same experiences with titanium as I have. Hope it helps.
Landon

10:02 p.m. on November 11, 2006 (EST)
(Guest)

Lando,

My girlfriend, used one of my snow peak Ti bowls to cook over the fire pit, and had the same discoloration problems as you. I didn't realize wether or not this effected the bowls life span. I guess it does. Thanks for clarifying!

-Rich

10:42 p.m. on November 11, 2006 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

Rich,
The discoloration will not affect the life or function of the pan. Titanium simply has pretty oxides. Titanium is used in the human body but that may be different alloys than used in Pans, but I wouldn't worry about injesting Ti. Using it over a campfire won't hurt it. Titanium is very tough even when very thin and thats maybe the primary reason to use it - also it may discolor or scorch but you won't melt it with your stove. Ti pans are very thin, the thinnest made, thus the light weight, and the reason they don't distribute heat well. Ti doesn't have such a high coeficient of conductivity as some other metals but it is very thin and the heat conduction formulas require division by the thickness of the material, so in fact my Titanium evernew pans conduct better than my stainless steel evernew pans.

As far as being gentle with them? Whats that all about? I scrub mine with glacial sand and polish the inside, it quickly turns a duller grey. AND you're not going to scratch a Ti pan with a SS fork. If the bend, bend em back with your hands, they're thin...

And on the personal side, I really love my Titanium pans and skillet, but like all tools, its the operater that makes the difference. Probably most cooks would be better off with aluminum especially over a campfire which is difficult to regulate. In cases like that you need an oval fire ring long enough to have a constant fire on one end creating coals that you then move to the other end for cooking. And BTW this is how I get a steady supply of coals for roasting rabbit on a stick, my favorite camp meal.

Jim S

10:34 a.m. on November 16, 2006 (EST)
9 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Eric,
I'm not familar with Titan Pure Cookware & the TiO2 coating. I've been using Evernew titaniun since it came out. It has an F1 coating which is a silicon based material. The only thing I've noticed is occasionally, when simmering, food will stick to the botton if I'm not careful. I pack a small plastic scraper which works great for cleanup. Within the last few years, I've purchased an MSR Titan kettle & a Snow Peak Ti bowl & cup. This alloy is revolutionary & the weight reduction is amazing. The only thing I've been guilty of, according to you, is using too high of a flame. This action hasn't caused any problem but I am more cautious with any coated surfaces.

Jeff

3:16 a.m. on November 24, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Jeff,
Thank you for you message.Maybe you are right.When we go to outdoor sports and cook foods,this case maybe shows.As to my outdoor experience, That's a good question, about cleaning. I normally try to avoid using detergents (dishwashing liquid), as it pollutes the waterways, and I noticed that mud from ariver usually does a very good job. If something is baked on, I use more sandy mud, to scrape it off. Don't know if I would do that to high-value titanium cookware, though. Although, I have done it for aluminium, and titanium should be quite a bit harder than aluminium. As I usually forget to take a sponge, I have to do this with my hands, which is not a very good option. Perhaps it would be a good idea to develop a sponge that can be used for cleaning without the use of detergents. I know that you can buy powdered mud for washing your body without detergent, so perhaps something similar should be available for dishes.

Jeff.What you think about my suggestion? If you have any queries,I am very glad to talk about the outdoor knowledge with you in future.

All the best for you!

Eric

10:17 a.m. on December 15, 2006 (EST)
9 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Hi Eric,
Good idea. FYI, there is a sponge available that is abrasive on one side & regular on the other. I've seen them in grocery stores, Target, Wal*Mart, etc. If you'll send me your address to my email account, I'll send you one of those scrapers I prefer to use on titanium. BTW, I mistakenly referred to titanium as an alloy in my original post. It is an element, Atomic #22 & Atomic weight 47.90, my favorite useful metal.

Jeff

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply