Help/Question re Coleman 424 Duel Fuel Stove

7:52 p.m. on October 29, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

So I got a 424 two burner, dual fuel stove. While primarily for camping with my cub scouts, I chose liquid over propane for hurricane backup duty. I figure at worst I can siphon gas from vehicle if needed rather than find the tiny bottles of propane or getting a tank filled.

Anyway, so this past weekend was the first I have used it and I think I am experiening problems with it flooding. I have not used one of these guys before, so I am unsure as to what I may be doing wrong.

First off, if I burn on a low setting, it burns with the cool yellow flame. If I crank it up pretty high, I can get the good flame, but it is WAY too hot for my needs. Heck, it was making the grill cherry red. After a while I can lower it down a good bit, but I start getting blow outs/blow backs. Is the result of too little pressure?

The instructions say what to do in case of the flooding and persistant yellow flame, but there is nothing in the way of troubleshooting what I may be doing wrong. If I am flooding it, how I am flooding it? Too much pressure via the pump, too little? Does it need to be perfectly level?

I'm sure if I practice more, I will get the hang of it, but I would like some general pointers on using these guys.

Thanks in advance.

12:28 a.m. on November 4, 2006 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Is the stove new? It sounds like a generator issue, or tou aren't turning the adjustment lever corectly (down to start, up to run?) Fiddle with the adjustment lever after you get it started & if that's not it, whack the generator a couple of times.

6:36 p.m. on November 6, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

It is brand new. I'll take it and and fiddle with it this weekend. Then I will clean it. If it it is still no good, I'll just go and exchange it.

4:42 p.m. on November 23, 2006 (EST)
(Guest)

I just bought the same stove.. I am having the same problems with the high hellow flame.. I can only get the flame to turn blue, if i open and light the auziliry burner.. I used unleaded Gas, and seem to have the liquid gas coming out of the jet..

12:54 p.m. on November 30, 2006 (EST)
(Guest)

I have had the Coleman Dual Fuel 424 Campstove for about 12+ years. I have never had a single problem in all that time, using it for about 8-10 trips per year. All of a sudden I have started having yellow flame issues, and cannot get it to stay lit when set to low -- it keeps having blow outs. I am thinking it is a generator problem as described above with the new stoves.

December 25, 2014
Quick Reply