waterproof shell advice

2:05 p.m. on November 16, 2006 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Hey guys, I need a little advice.

Just got my new Mountain Hardwear Women's Epic jacket from steepandcheap.com, and I'm actually just concerned about the feeling of the jacket. I'ts so stiff, and it fits like it's still in packaging and a box. There's all this pit room which buckles uncomfortably because of the long pit zips.

I have been told that jackets soften up a little with use. Does that cover the pits which are uncomfortable because of the zippers? Will this start to mold to my body shape? (Notably my under-arms!) Or after a month of use is this still going to feel like a stiff piece of plastic which just happens to be manufactured by Mountain Hardwear and called a jacket?

Thanks all!
Kate

2:57 p.m. on November 16, 2006 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,358 forum posts

wp/b fabrics are like that, especially the 3-layer ones. Doesn't matter whether it is Goretex, Epic, eVent (to a lesser extent), or some of the manufacturers' proprietary ones. They do soften with time.

Then again, you are supposed to wear something under the jacket, like fleece, Coolmax or some other wicking material. {8=>D

November 22, 2014
Quick Reply