leaky tent

1:48 a.m. on November 29, 2006 (EST)
(Guest)

I have a mntn. jet 2 tent that went with me to arkansas for 9 days. It was horrible, I just got it last year, and i take very good care of my stuff. when i would wake up in the mourning water would be coming down on me like rain.It froze and when it melted it leaked on me.. someone please help

5:26 p.m. on November 29, 2006 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
747 forum posts

cain,
From what I can tell on the internet about this tent, it seems well designed and made by a reputible company. I can't tell whether its a one or two layer tent... this is important to know. Anyway it sounds like you didn't use the vents properly and had a lot of condensation that melted and dripped on ya - is that the senario? If so then seam sealing wouldn't help. Only better ventilation will help as you have to get the moisture from your breath out of the tent before it freezes in the top.

I have seen megamids with such bad condensation problems that when the wind shook the tent it snowed inside and since it shook constantly there was always a small snowstorm inside and a bigger snowstorm outside.

I'm just saying that by your description, the tent did not "leak".

Jim S

9:20 p.m. on November 30, 2006 (EST)
(Guest)

thanks jim. the mntn jet 2 is a single wall tent. the 2 doors are mesh. should i leave my tent open even in cold weather?

12:02 a.m. on December 1, 2006 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,362 forum posts

Jim is right. Condensation and frost on the inside of a tent are the source of many "leaks". And yes, you have to leave the vents open. Experiment with the amount of opening to see where you minimize the condensation without losing too much heat. But since you mentioned Arkansas, you probably don't have to worry about over-cooling (I lived in Mississippi for 10 years and camped in various parts of Arkansas in all seasons - only rarely was I at all on the cool side).

One problem in humid conditions like you often find in Arkansas and the South generally is very high humidity, which can result in lots of condensation, even at high temperatures. A double-wall tent (i.e., a fly) doesn't necessarily help - you still get condensation on the inside of the fly, which can drip right through the inner tent roof, especially if it is a mesh tent body. The only thing that works under those conditions is lots of ventilation.

November 27, 2014
Quick Reply