Any suggestions for stinky boots?

7:14 p.m. on February 14, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Doug Noonan

I have a pair of Asolo Gore-Tex boots and the smell really bad. Any suggestions for removing the smell? I tried a spray I found at a sporting goods store and that didn't work. Any ideas are gladly welcomed. Thanks!!!

1:51 p.m. on February 15, 2007 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

There are a number of foot powders and sprays you can find in your neighborhood drug store in the foot care section that work pretty well. Odor Eaters is pretty effective, as is Zeasorb-AF. The major cause is the same fungus that causes athlete's foot (this from the excellent book Fixing Your Feet:Prevention and Treatment for Athletes by John Vonhoff). The major parts of prevention are drying and airing your boots between uses (hard to do on a through-hike or climbing expedition), dry socks, foot powders, antiperspirants on the foot (not your standard deoderants, and there are antiperspirants for the feet), and such. Zeasorb-AF is pretty popular among distance runners.

But boots (and running shoes) can get to the point that they just have to be replaced, if you haven't been diligent about caring for them.

7:37 p.m. on February 15, 2007 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Doug Noonan

It's just the my Asolo boots that stink all my other boots and shoes are fine.

8:39 p.m. on February 15, 2007 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

Not surprising. Goretex breathes poorly, which means that the foot sweat builds up in the boots and takes a long time to dry even after you take the boots off. This allows various nasty stuff to grow in the boot. Leather boots and mesh boots that do not have Gtx liners are a lot better in this regard.

Try Odor Eaters.

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply