About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Marmot Skylight Jacket

8:56 p.m. on February 27, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I am curious if there is someone who has bean using Marmot Skylight Jacket. How this product rates when exposed to cold temperatures, heavy winds and rain and what is its overall durability? The jacket was purchased by my friend recently in Europe who has noticed something rather odd or at least something that keeps taking his sleep away.
On the left sleeve, along the pocket opening is inserted a stiff ribbon –like object. My friend is afraid that this mysterious part will cause for that particular area to wear off or even to tear apart. I wonder if there may be someone who could have had noticed something similar. The following link shows the jacket,
http://marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=cloth&subcat=67&style_id=I3217

11:23 p.m. on February 27, 2007 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts

I'm not familiar with this particular jacket, but it's not unusual for some sort of stiffener or reinforcement to be added near a zipper, especially one which needs to be operated single-handedly.

There is one review posted here: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/marmot/skylight-jacket/

2:29 a.m. on February 28, 2007 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,743 forum posts

Dave, If this jacket was purchased in Europe, any chance the mysterious piece is a Recco? I've seen ski suits with them in them and that's what it sounds like to me.

3:46 p.m. on February 28, 2007 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
924 forum posts

Good call, Tom. Marmot has included Recco reflectors on a couple US jackets, though not the Skylight. It wouldn't surprise me if they were putting them into more European models, although I don't know for sure.

9:40 p.m. on February 28, 2007 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,743 forum posts

I looked on their website and didn't see anything about it, but for another market, who knows. The only Reccos I've seen were in high end Euro ski suits. They felt like a big piece of plastic inside the liner, which is what made me think of it.

April 21, 2014
Quick Reply