Therm-A-Rest sleeping pad

8:58 p.m. on March 1, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

I know that it is proper procedure to keep a sleeping bag unstuffed when not in use, is this also true of a sleeping pad? Is it best to keep it unrolled/unfolded?

9:36 a.m. on March 2, 2007 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
234 reviewer rep
942 forum posts

Self-inflating sleeping pads should be stored flat, with the valve open. That helps the foam inside to "remember" the flat position and to self-inflate more quickly the next time you use it. Leaving the valve open also allows any moisture inside the pad (from breathing to inflate it) to escape.

11:41 a.m. on March 2, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Thanks!

10:38 p.m. on March 2, 2007 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

Dert,

If I remember correctly, the Therm-o-rest pads state in the directions to store open and inflated behind a couch or under a bed where they will not get squished.

I am lucky enough to have a gear closet and I keep all my gear in it with sleeping pads inflated with valves open and leaning up against the wall.

-John

11:33 p.m. on March 2, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

John, thanks for the input, but i have a small concern. (at least in my house) under the bed and behind couches are dust hotspots. Could this dust possibly enter through the open valve?

2:53 a.m. on March 3, 2007 (EST)
25 reviewer rep
54 forum posts

Dert,

It should not be. The air is only moving in and out passively as the barometer changes. If you are worried about it, you can take a small piece of panthose or cheese cloth and secure it over the valve without occluding it. That will help to prevent some of the dust from getting in.

Also, I have a really fat pad that comes with two valves. I keep one closed and one open.

-John

10:52 a.m. on March 3, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Thanks for the help, and my bag is not fat enough to justify two valves :P

11:14 a.m. on March 6, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
367 forum posts

The other point with the dust question is that dust is usually falling down due to gravity. If you store the pad with the valve facing down, you won't see a lot of dust going into it. The pad will change volume ever so slightly with temperature changes, but this shouldn't introduce a lot of dust.

8:20 p.m. on March 7, 2007 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
11 forum posts

Ah very helpful, thanks!

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply